Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG3934G wifi freezing my PC

This is a discussion on DG3934G wifi freezing my PC within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, I've recently switched from Virgin to Sky broadband and after setting up the router and following Sky's instructions ...

scott21071982 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DG3934G wifi freezing my PC

Hi guys,

I've recently switched from Virgin to Sky broadband and after setting up the router and following Sky's instructions everything seemed to be going fine,
      until however my 6-month old PC started freezing after about 30 mins to an hour of internet use. I can't ctrl+alt+delete, move my mouse icon, nothing - my system becomes completely unresponsive. It seems to coincide with the downloading of larger files, i.e. torrents or in the last case antivirus software from cnet.

I've tried running an ethernet cable between Sky's router and the one I used previously and connecting to that instead but the problem persists. Should this have sorted the problem and suggest that another factor is to blame for the freezes or is my second router simply forwarding on the corrupt signal?

I can only assume it is linked with Sky Broadband as I've never encountered this problem before.

So basically I'm hoping somebody can help me restore my now crocked PC to it's former state of health.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: DG3934G wifi freezing my PC

I doubt very much if its anything to do with the router, if its only happening when the BB is in use then it can be a number of things causing the issue, TCP stack corruption, drivers issue, firewall issue, antivirus issue, even something as daft as problems with the HD can show themselves up when shifting large files.
      Is this XP? If so are there any clues in the administration tools, event viewer screen?

scott21071982 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

It is indeed XP, SP2.

The thing is is that there were no problems d/ling large files when on Virgin.

From my limited knowledge I have the inclination that it isn't software based as the problem would result in a blue screen rather than a total system freeze. I found a thread somewhere where somebody was having a similiar problem, tested all his hardware and looked for software/driver conflicts but could find nothing. The only resolution was to run an ethernet cable through his house. I'll try to track the thread down again later when I have a few minutes.

As I've said though, my knowledge is limited so am open to any advise. I'll try to figure out the event viewer you're talking about.

Thanks

dukibloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

im having the same problem and wondered if anyone has found a solution...transfered from virgin to sky this week,set wireless broadband up,had to forward ports to use utorrent...and my pc freezes up whether im online or not

thanx in advance

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just a suggestion, did either of the 2 posters install mccaffee from the installation disc?

dukibloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

no i didnt install McAfee,im using AVG,ive just gone thru the port forwarding process again and not had the pc freeze for the last 2 hours so fingers crossed its working again!

BlackPrince is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

have the same problems after transferring from BT. Everything just completely freezes up when broadband is connected. Only ever happened after installing Sky, but Sky's technical response insist it must be a PC problem.

journolud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01625
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

I didn't have this problem initially when I set up but then did last night after I moved my wireless adaptor to a USB port at the back rather than the front of the computer. Moved it back to ther front and all is now fine, up to now. Makes no sense though does it ?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yes it does actually, each time you change the USB port the PC will "see" the device as new and will ask for settings etc again. Once it's back in the port that has been used before it will pick up those settings automatically. It's one of the "wonders" of USB.