Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Made a mess of my router setting please help!

This is a discussion on Made a mess of my router setting please help! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I was having a few problems with my wireless connection dropping out every few minutes or so and found ...

dougie175 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Made a mess of my router setting please help!

Hello, I was having a few problems with my wireless connection dropping out every few minutes or so and found thise forum and tried changing a few of the settings on my router via http://192.168.0.1 such as UPnP, Auto 108 clicked diagnostics and then reboot I think if i remember righly, was basically following the instructions I found here:
      Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix I didnt honestly know what I was changing as netwroking is not my strong point.

Anyway restarted my computer and I now cant get an internet connection and cant connect to my router either, If I put http://192.168.0.1 into my browser I just recieve the error message page cannot be displayed. However I can still connect to 2 devices I have connected to my router so I know it is still connecting locally. The 2 devices I have connected are a Belking Wireless Usb Hub and a Sorocco audio receiver.

I have sinse managed to correct to problem with the connection dropping out and everything is fine on that side, it was a problem with a setting in the sorocco.

However I still have no internet connection and no way of getting into the router to sort out the connect, please can someone give me advice as to what to do, Ideally I would just like to restore the router back to factory setting as Im 99.9% sure with those setting everything will be fine again and I wont have any problems with the connection dropping out now I have it sorted.

Please help, Thanks Robb

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Made a mess of my router setting please help!

Quote Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
      Ideally I would just like to restore the router back to factory setting
      On the back of the router next to where the power lead goes in there's a small hole which is the reset button. Press that in with the end of a paperclip and hold in until the tick on the front panel goes orange. Release and the router will reboot to factory default (i.e. how it was when you got it).

Exchange:
      Thanks

OkThanks I did try that as the first thing but made no difference, Im not actually at my computer at the moment Im at work hence having a connection but I will try doing a reset again when I get back, but Im pretty sure it wont fix my problem.

I held down the little reboot button on the back of the router and there was no differnece the router could only connect locally and I still couldnt get into the router settings via 192.168.0.1
      Last edited by dougie175; 22-09-08 at 10:14 AM.

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

manually assign ip address

1 right click local connection icon click status then properties
      2 click internet protocol scroll down for it
      3 add you prefer ip address eg: 192.168.1.1
      then tab down
      then enter 192.168.0.1
      then tab down
      then 192.168.0.1 again
      click ok then close

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok I had tried adding 192.168.0.1 as a fixed IP and then it just manually put 255.255.0.0 into the next box I think should I keeping putting 192.168.0.1 in each of the the tabs down?

When I did put a fixed IP like that it did say connected, but I still couldnt connect to my router via 192.168.0.1 and still didnt have an internet connection? And bodviously because I had set a fixed IP address it lost connection with my other 2 devices on the network that have different IP addresses.

Anyone got anymore ideas? I cant test them at the moment as Im not at home until tonight but Im pretty sure neither pressing the rest button on the back or setting a fixed IP will help me as I have tried them both, Cheers for the help everyone much apprechaited, just home I can fix this problem without having to shell out more money for a new router or something.
      Last edited by dougie175; 22-09-08 at 11:01 AM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

OkThanks I did try that as the first thing but made no difference
      And you held the button in for at least 5-10 seconds until the tick flashes? That will revert the router to default.

Quote Originally Posted by commandercarr View Post
      manually assign ip address

1 right click local connection icon click status then properties
      2 click internet protocol scroll down for it
      3 add you prefer ip address eg: 192.168.1.1
      then tab down
      then enter 192.168.0.1
      then tab down
      then 192.168.0.1 again
      click ok then close
      You can't set the subnet mask to 192.168.0.1. Assigning a fixed IP to your PC will make no difference to your ability/inability to log into the router. Assigning a fixed IP to your computer will not magically give you an internet connection if your router hasn't got one.

@Dougie

Please ignore the OP's suggestion to manually assign an IP - I can't imagine how that was supposed to help

Ok I had tried adding 192.168.0.1 as a fixed IP. . . I think should I keeping putting 192.168.0.1 in each of the the tabs down?
      You can't assign your PC an address of 192.168.0.1 as this will be being used by the router as its own address. You can't assign the default gateway to the same IP as the PC.

Revert your PC back to obtaining an IP automatically and then shut it down. Power off your router and then power it back up. Reset it as described above. Power your PC back up. You should now have the ability to log into your router - and with luck also have an internet connection.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Hard reset the router by holding the reset button in till the lights go off (holding for 10 secs max). As above setting your PC to 192.168.1.1 will not help at all. If you want to try a static IP on the PC (I would suggest assigning IP and DNS automatically first though after router reset) then 192.168.0.13 for the static IP, 255.255.255.0 for subnet, 192.168.0.1 for DNS (secondary DNS empty).
      Again as above I would suggest using auto ip and dns assignment to begin with, put the dots against them in the options, shut down the pc, hard reset the router, let it power back up and settle, power up the pc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers again fellas Im glad you have a better idea of how to fix the problem than I do.

I think my problem is that I maybe havnt held the reset button down long enough, when I have held it down it reset in the same way it would If you had just turned the power off and on again and Im guessing holding the reset button down even longer does a full system reset and should in theory get my router back to some good settings.

Ill give it a shot when I get home tonight with a hard reset, fingers crossed I can get online and say thank you for the help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I owe you boys a pint! A quick hard reset and Im back online.

Thank You