Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Vista machine slow with DG834GT

This is a discussion on New Vista machine slow with DG834GT within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys......I cant put into words how stressful this problem has been and still is! Okok. Ive got a DG834GT ...

zergy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New Vista machine slow with DG834GT

Hi guys......I cant put into words how stressful this problem has been and still is!

Okok. Ive got a DG834GT Netgear router (ADSL)

My pc and my brothers works fine. We both have XP pc's and we both use usb wifi adapters. Mine is a netgear, not sure what his is. The third pc in the house is my dads. Its actually plugged in with an ethernet cable. His is a vista pc

Ok heres the problem. I bought myself a new pc from computerplanet.co.uk

Its vista, and it came with an ASUS 125MBPS wlan card. The actual software for the card does not run on vista as its incompatible. Hmmmmmm I thought. It would still connect to my router (@11mbps) but my speed would be so slow google would struggle to load. I can forget trying to even attempt any other website bar google as they just dont work

I figured the problem was the wlan card, so I installed my netgear adaptor from my old pc into this one. I also got the latest "vista" driver installation for it. Same problem. The connection speed is so bad its just unusable.

So today I took my pc to a local shop pc shop and told them the problem. They gave me it back later today, informing me that the WLAN ASUS card works with their wifi after installing a driver for it. They charged me nothing which was nice

I get it back home, guess what. Its not any better. The pc works fine when plugged in via an ethernet cable

As I only know bits and pieces about pc's, my knowledge is limited I can only do so much.

Ive double checked its not a range issue by sitting the pc right next to the router. This doesnt help.

I have spoke to the people at computer planet, and they are adamant its a router thing, but they said if i want them to do anymore, Id have to send them the pc back to have a look at it.

I phoned sky, and tbh, the lady i spoke to was just running through notes on her screen, she wasnt in the know with things other than usual problems. I could tell just by talking to her. And of course she said it was a problem with the pc!

Now to summarise, my new vista pc will detect and connect to my router, but the speed reads 11mbps instead of the usual 54mbps, and the speed is so slow everything times out. Its way slower than a 56k modem. This problem was constant with the inbuilt wifi wlan card or the usb netgear adaptor.

I personally have a hunch its some sort of configuration issue. Whether it be with the pc. the router, or both I dont know. Im leaning towards the router

Anyone any ideas? Thanks guys

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Vista machine slow with DG834GT

Hmm, i'd lean towards the vista set up myself.

Are you using the vista wireless config tool or the adapters own software when connecting wirelessly.

Personally i always use the windows and only install the wireless driver (and not teh actual adapters software).

Make sure you set the channel in vista to the same channel as the other pc's settings.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 18-09-08 at 12:26 AM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I didn't notice you mention which Netgear wireless adapter you have but I believe there are problems with some Netgear USB models and Vista. Unfortunately, creating Vista drivers has caused problems for many manufacturers and, with consumer apathy towards Vista, I suspect there's not much incentive for them to spend money on development except for new hardware.

If the Asus card is new, there's more chance of a decent Vista driver for it. Have a look at the Asus home site or if you can figure out which chipset it is -- perhaps Intel -- go to the chipset maker's site which is likely to have the most up to date drivers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys, this is the netgear usb adapter - 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

@reddwarfcrew

Im using windows own tool as the software for the WLAN card cannot be accessed after its installed. An error message appears. Computerplanet said that the software is not vista compatible. They said use the windows tool as its better anyway

Whats the channel in vista mate? And how do I check the channel on the vista pc and the other xp pc?

@fihart

Do you think mate I should just buy a new usb adapter which specifically says its Vista ready and give that a go? If its gonna cost me 15/20 quid to sort the problem, Id see that as a win win situation as Im starting to loose my temper with this problem lol

Do routers get driver updates? Could it be the router needs an update for vista?

I looked up the router on the netgear website. It had a "click here for vista drivers" so I did and downloaded it. When I unzipped the file, and ran the auotorun.exe file, I was met with an interface which had "setup" "manual" "registration" and something else. Trying to run setup just opened an abobe file showing how to connect the router and what looked like a basic istructional guide on how to configure the router. (as if it was for setting the router up for the first time) there was no mention of drivers for vista or changing settings for vista

This is all so confusing

I was thinking if I spent 15 quid on a new adapter, and that did not solve the problem, I could always take it back for a refund anyway

What you guys think?

Cheers

Graham

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To answer the channel question -- this is set in the router and is best changed by using an ethernet cable to connect the computer to the router. If your wireless adapter(s) can detect neighbouring wifi systems it may be useful to change to a channel as far as poss from the strongest. See tutorial on this site (or download manual from netgear.com) to see how.

Firmware for Sky router is updated remotely by Sky -- recent revision seems okay.

The router doesn't need a driver -- the software you've found is mostly for initial ISP setup and is not needed with the Sky version of the router.

A good rule in computing is if your time and hair is worth more than the problem hardware, buy new hardware instead. However, if you're not quite sure what you're doing, the new hardware may merely prove that the problem is you ! We've all been there.
      Last edited by fihart; 18-09-08 at 11:34 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      To answer the channel question -- this is set in the router and is best changed by using an ethernet cable to connect the computer to the router. If your wireless adapter(s) can detect neighbouring wifi systems it may be useful to change to a channel as far as poss from the strongest. See tutorial on this site (or download manual from netgear.com) to see how.

Firmware for Sky router is updated remotely by Sky -- recent revision seems okay.

The router doesn't need a driver -- the software you've found is mostly for initial ISP setup and is not needed with the Sky version of the router.

A good rule in computing is if your time and hair is worth more than the problem hardware, buy new hardware instead. However, if you're not quite sure what you're doing, the new hardware may merely prove that the problem is you ! We've all been there.
      Ive googled the make of the ASUS wlan card thats in the pc and Ive actually found 2 or 3 posts with people having the exact same problem, although with different routers. But I think thats irrelevant as it doesnt seem to be the router which is the problem

They all reported successfull connections, but speeds so slow it might as well not be connected if you know what I mean

None of these posts however had an answer at the end. This would lead me to believe (just buy a new wlan card that states it works for vista, as mine says xp). However, with the netger usb adapter also not working (and thats before and after installing drivers from netgear which are actually for vista) I think, maybe its not the adapaters, maybe its some sort of configuration issue within the vista settings?

But I suppose its possible that the netgear drivers dont work anyway as you said, netgear have had problems with drivers for vista.

Im heavily leaning towards just going out and finding either a pci wifi card or a usb adapter which says on the box compatible with vista, then giving that a go.

Maybe I can work through this problem via a process of elimination?

You think buying a vista specific adapter would be a good place to start guys?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its strange though how I took the pc to a pc shop and they said something about altering settings and a driver for the wlan card and said it "seemed" to be working fine on their router.

As a side note. My mate has a belkin router and hes with Virgin broadband. Ive had my old pc over his before for a night of gaming and it connects to that no bother.

He currently uses a dell gaming laptop with vista and connects to his router via the built in dell WLAN card. This worked from him straight out the box when he bought the laptop. You think I should take the pc over there and try connect to his router? IF it worked, then that would mean there is some problem with my router, or at least the settings on my pc dont work with the router if you see what i mean?
      If it does not work, maybe the wlan card is at fault?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If your going to spend mney, why not get couple of homeplugs, no wireless needed then.

I have a Netgear USB adapter that will not work under Vista (even though it is mached to the Netgear router and the one they reccommend) and in the end chucked it in the drawer and fitted homeplugs, never looked back and an all round improvement on speed, gaming and browsing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You bought this PC with the WLAN card already installed and with Vista already installed. The card's software is not compatible with Vista. That is extremely bad selling, the supplier should correct this foc. Unfortunately, unless you have an 'in house' warranty you have to return it to them. I can understand your reluctance to do this. Have another word with them, they may be willing to send you a compatible USB adapter as a gesture of goodwill.

The fact that the card is connecting at 11mbps means that it is not being recognised properly. Usually in cases like these I would recommend uninstalling then reinstalling the card. If you want to try this, press the Windows key and type dev then press Enter. Accept the UAC. When the Device Manager opens, expand the Network adapters section and right click on the WLAN adapter and select Uninstall. When it has uninstalled, right click on your Computer name and select 'scan for hardware changes' The card will be detected and reinstalled.

One point to note is that Asus use a special slot on some of their motherboards for WLAN cards, if the motherboard drivers are not properly installed, the slot and therefore the card will not be properly recognised. If you have this type, you should have a driver CD for the motherboard, if not go to the Austek site and down load and install the latest drivers for your board. You will find the site here- ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- The ones you are interesred in are the Chipset and Wireless. With a pre-installed system this should not be necessary, but the fact that they seem to have supplied incompatible hardware, it might be in your case.

When you have done this, go through the Wireless network set up Wizard to remake your network. If it says you already have a network, remove it and start fresh.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If your going to spend mney, why not get couple of homeplugs, no wireless needed then.

I have a Netgear USB adapter that will not work under Vista (even though it is mached to the Netgear router and the one they reccommend) and in the end chucked it in the drawer and fitted homeplugs, never looked back and an all round improvement on speed, gaming and browsing.
      Thanks for that post Smithy, I had no idea such a thing existed. I might go buy a pair from Comet after work and give them a try!

Cheers m8.

But even so, Id like to get to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for all those who have replied also. Very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast