Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What upstream speed should I expect?

This is a discussion on What upstream speed should I expect? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, My line has been regraded from Sky Max (but not ADSL2+) to Mid. (Thank you, Sky - but have ...

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

What upstream speed should I expect?

Hi,

My line has been regraded from Sky Max (but not ADSL2+) to Mid. (Thank you, Sky - but have I made a terrible mistake...?)

The downstream speed has changed only marginally, as expected, but the upstream has dropped to ca. 20% of the previous value. This is wholly unexpected.

Resync. this morning:

Down: 6752 kbps / Attn. 45 db / SNR 7 db
      Up: 160 kbps / Attn. 11 db / SNR 7 db

For comparison, the figures at a similar time of day for Sky Max on Saturday were:

Down: 7040 kbps / Attn. 46 db / SNR 7 db
      Up: 768 kbps / Attn. 11 db / SNR 14 db

Pre-Sky, when I was on ADSL Max, the morning figures for a sync. speed that could be sustained for 20+ days were:

Down: 5440 kbps / Attn. 45 db / SNR 9 db
      Up: 448 kbps / Attn. 24 db / SNR 22 db

Approximately what downstream speed should I expect on Sky Mid?
      JPL

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: What upstream speed should I expect?

perhaps the bug affecting people on Base/Mid with a Phase 2 Netgear is raising it's head with Max customers...

it should normally say 768 - have you called Sky at all for tech support?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

JPL
      Thanks

I believe I am on Mid now, i.e. no longer on Max.

Do you have a link to the "bug affecting people on Base/Mid with a Phase 2 Netgear", please?

I tried a search but could not find any details - I would like to know the nature of the problem so that I know what to say when I call Sky tech. support. (I have not done so yet.)
      JPL

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it's not mentioned on here, just something we seem to have noticed with people's calls...

on Base/Mid, the default upstream used to be 416kbps...and there were no issues...

THEN, it was changed to 384kbps...and the Phase 2 Netgear router seems to have a bit of a barney and if it syncs at 160kbps (or, usually, 256kbps) you either can't browse full stop or it's extremely slow...

a quick profile change to 416kbps stops this...it's getting fixed Sky's end soon but for now it's best have CST adjust it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

JPL
      Thanks

I have spoken to Sky as you suggested and my profile has been corrected.

Now synch'ed at 7245/46/7 up and 409/12/19 down.

All working OK; even internet browsing noticeably faster than earlier today.

Thanks for your help.
      JPL

stocki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBAT
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I noticed my own [mid] connection changed from ~ 416kbps upstream to 160kbps a few weeks ago. I switched off the router for a while and it rebooted at 416kbps up. All back to normal.

My parents [mid] connection has been active for less than a week now and they have some strange stats: down att=44db/5632kbps/snr=6db up att=13db/160kbps/snr=3db.

I thought this looked wrong so switched the router off for a while and when it rebooted it eventually connected at: down att=44db/5632kbps/6db snr up att=13db/256kbps/snr=1db.

Unfortunately web browsing, email, etc would not work now (I wasn't too popular for trying to 'fix' it by now). I guess the low upstream snr was causing problems. CST (level 1) tried to investigate what was wrong but couldn't see any problems so tried to pass me onto level 2, but after around 40 minutes on hold I gave up (the call wasn't free as sky talk not active until 17th Sept).

On rebooting the router shortly after, it connected back up at 160kbps upstream and the web browser, etc. seemed to work again, albeit very slow. I left it alone after this, at least until I could call Sky for free.

I don't think my parents have any problem with internal wiring - they are using a filtered faceplate and their Newnet connection was solid.

Anyone got any advice on getting this fixed? why is the upstream speed so slow and snr so low.