Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sagem router, many issues

This is a discussion on sagem router, many issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ok, i have the sagem router and it seems the wireless speed (whatever its called) drops every now and then, ...

olidude7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sagem router, many issues

ok, i have the sagem router and it seems the wireless speed (whatever its called) drops every now and then, quite alot actually, at the mo its at 11 mbps, it starts at 48 mbps and drops down until its at a stand still between 5.5 and 11, but then every now and then it drops to 1 mbps and i can't do anything, this is annoying especially when i am playing online games
      so far i have done the following thanks to this forum
      upnp off
      channel changed to 11
      wireless mode changed from 54g auto to 54g performance
      the first too had no affect and i'm not sure about the third change as i haven't had a good length of time on the thing to find out if it made a diffrence
      if it dosen't:
      what else can i do to help with the issue
      if nothing can be done i'd like the name of a router that works with sky and has none of these issues
      i should also mention this house has a basement, a ground floor, a 1st floor, and a 2nd floor, this pc is on 2nd floor connected via wireless and it probably has something to do with this, which would be strange considering i am getting 68% signal and 79% link quality

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: sagem router, many issues

If you are an on line gamer you should really invest in a Homeplug network. I am not an online gamer but from what I have read, wireless and gaming just do not go together well. It is not nearly stable enough in all situations. Homeplug would be cheaper than upgrading you router and adapter to Wireless N, which you would need to see any improvement.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As above, you need to get away from the wireless for gaming, I use homeplugs and they are much better, nearly as good as a ethernet connected PC.

With the setup you have and the distance between router etc you may never be able to use wireless effectivley without putting further wireless access points around the house which can be costly.

olidude7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ok

first an explanation would be nice, like why i am getting like 60% signal and 70% link quality and it keeps dropping down to 1mbps

and 2nd just how much are these omeplug things if i'm gunna be needing 2 and which ones would you reccomend

rite i may as well first figure out whether all these issues apply with an ethernet cable
      TO THE LAPTOP
      i should also mention that none of the other comps have these issues, but they are all on the same floor as the router

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to go back - you say you changed the channel to 11, did you try any other channels you have 13 down to 1 to choose from. Also set the router to 'G' only if you can. I have read that allowing a router to use multiple modes reduces it's efficiency.

The reason your signal is dropping is probably down to interference from other sources, such as cordless phones mirco waves or anything else that gives out EM waves (might not be strictly the correct term, but you know what I mean)

THIS gives a run down on Homeplug as well as some prices.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I bought a couple of Solwise 85mps homeplugs from e-bay for about 40 for the pair. You can also get one that has a wireless link built in to extend your wireless range which may be useful for your lapton downstairs when you don't want to connect it via the ethernet cable (browsing etc, not playing games).

Wireless tends not to work too well when going up/down, much better horizontal, you could try putting the router on its side but I really don't think it will sort your problems.

You are sure nothing else is using the bandwidth arn't you, if the other computers are hogging it you will only get what's left, are there any p2p progs running pn them?