Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dg934g & adsl2+

This is a discussion on Dg934g & adsl2+ within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, How can I determine whether or not my new Sky Broadband Max connection is using ADSL2+ ?...

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Dg934g & adsl2+

Hi,

How can I determine whether or not my new Sky Broadband Max connection is using ADSL2+ ?
      JPL

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Dg934g & adsl2+

if you speed is over 8Mbps for a start...if not, if your upload is showing as 764 as opposed to 768...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

JPL
      Thanks

Thanks for your help.

DownStream Connection Speed is 7040 kbps at the moment and
      UpStream Connection Speed is 768 kbps,
      so I guess not.

In that case, there is no point in having the Max service - the 40GB monthly usage allowance on Mid is more than enough for me. I shall phone Sky and ask for the change.

Incidentally I'm not very impressed with the DG934G. Had I been buying a router for myself, I would not have considered any model unable to support WPA2 and would almost certainly have paid more to get Wireless-N. My previous router, which was replaced by an updated model in early 2006, does support WPA2.
      JPL

Thanks

why do you need WPA2? a stong WPA key is plenty...

as for wireless N, ONLY BT offer them and because it's not a ratified standard as yet no one else will...no point...

what are your router stats? if you have a downstream attenuation of below 30 adsl2+ can be turned on, CST can just change your line code...

post some stats and we can go from there...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With a downstream of only 7040, it is possible you are not connecting as fast as you should. Try plugging into the Test socket, behind the Master faceplate and take your stats from there. Post here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JPL
      Thanks

Yes, WPA is probably fine for residential usage, but the Sky V2 is the only current model of router I have seen for ages that does not support WPA2. I was surprised.

Wireless-N: I am thinking of the future. Several manufacturers, including NetGear, produce such kit. The standard seems to have reached the point where any further changes can be handled within a router firmware upgrade.

Downstream attenuation is ca. 45 db - no ADSL2+ for me! I was not aware of a 30 db cut-off for ADSL2+ or I would simply have ordered Sky Mid from the start.

Performance is the same at the master socket. I went through this process a couple of years ago on ADSL max, and installing a replacement master socket (faceplate splitter) with built-in ADSL filter, plus shielded cables (the cable runs close to several other cables of various types) improved the sustainable sync. speed from ca. 3.7 Mbps to ca. 5.4 Mbps - very pleasing at the time.

What is the easiest way to ask Sky to downgrade me from Max to Mid? So far I have spent ages on the phone to Sky (0844 241 0515) without having reached the right person to speak to - once cut off after 20 minutes on being transferred, once gave up after waiting for 25 minutes (the message said I was in the queue and should expect a wait of "2 minutes"!).
      JPL

Thanks

just go to customer services - at the least they can pass you to the right one but they should do it for you...

with regards to adsl2+ cut off - there isn't one...it's just that long lines don't react to adsl2+ very well so lines with an attenuation are recommended to be on gdmt to keep them stable...

the fun is trying to downgrade as you technically can't during your contract - although upgrading is fine...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will not be able to downgrade until your 12 months contract is up. You can try phoning Customer Service on 08442 414 141. I don't think the ones on the 515 Support line will be able to help. The only users I have heard of getting a downgrade were ones who had very low speeds ie under 512kbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JPL
      Thanks

Thanks for your help.

I tried phoning 08442 414 141, but there was a 50 minute queue and so I hung up. I'll try again later.

Ah well, it would probably be cheaper to pay the extra for Max for 12 months than to pay for the phone calls to speak to Customer Services...
      JPL

JPL
      Thanks

I phoned again this evening and my subscription has been changed from Max to Mid.

IAmNotTheEnemy & Isitme, thanks again for your help.
      JPL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast