Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem F@st DC's slow webpages.

This is a discussion on Sagem F@st DC's slow webpages. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. I've just started to have problems with my sky broadband in the last week after 10 months of pretty ...

jamesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sagem F@st DC's slow webpages.

Hi. I've just started to have problems with my sky broadband in the last week after 10 months of pretty solid stability.
      I've been getting lag and DC's in online games and general slow internet usage. I've checked cables/filters etc and still get DC'd during the day and a lot at peak hours.
      Been in touch with Sky and had a line check, which passed, they seem to think my router is on it's way out and are sending me a new one.
      I personally believe the problem is at their end, so to speak.
      Heres my stats:
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 15 11 0 0 0 0:01:22
      LAN 3585759 2016658 0 0 0 22:15:22
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 22:14:57
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13.0 db 8.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.9 db 21.0 db

Log:

Sep 12 19:57:40 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=222.208.183.218 DST=90.216.165.129 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=256 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=12200 DPT=8000 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Sep 12 20:00:50 (none) user.alert kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp_0_38_1 OUT= MAC= SRC=125.65.165.139 DST=90.216.165.129 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=117 ID=256 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=12200 DPT=3128 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

Sep 12 19:20:52 (none) daemon.crit pppd[18090]: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.

Sep 12 19:20:52 (none) daemon.crit pppd[18090]: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.

Sep 12 19:21:02 (none) daemon.crit pppd[19176]: PPP LCP UP.

Sep 12 19:21:02 (none) daemon.crit pppd[19176]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.

Apologies for the format.

Does anything look suspect?

I'm lucky if I can get 1 hours usage atm without getting disconnected.

Any help much appreciated.
      Last edited by jamesy; 12-09-08 at 09:05 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sagem F@st DC's slow webpages.

Your upload speed would indicate that you are on Connect and not Mid. As this is a rebadged BT product the problem would be with BT. Your noise margin is fairly high, although your connection speed is a bit lower than it should be. This suggests that there could be problems with your line. You could try doing an official BT speedtest which will show your profile, connection speed and actual download speed. If you want to try it. -

Go to BT Speedtest enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the LAN MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on. ( I think I should this, I have used it so often)

I think your router is probably failing and causing your profile to be lowered. A new router will soon confirm this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the BT test and here's my results:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5549 kbps

I am indeed on connect, I'm aware that the highest speed I should be getting is around the 7.5 mark, so why does this say 6.5? Nice to know I'm paying for 8meg and only getting 5.5, which isn't that bad compared to some people I suppose.
      When you say you noise margin is fairly high, is that bad?

I've also downloaded more than my 20g alocation this month buying online games from Direct2drive, would sky 'cap' my line because of this? Or am I being paranoid lol.

I pray it's my router as I really don't want to go down the whole tech support/line problems route.
      Only 2 months left with Sky, this is a test for them, If I get a poor service then I'll be off back to BT!

Again thx for your help.
      Last edited by jamesy; 13-09-08 at 10:02 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

your sync rate is 7.5Mbps so your IP profile will always be 500kbps-1Mbps below this to keep things stable...

try in your test socket if not already there as if sync speed increases to 8Mbps then in 3 days your IP profile will go to 7Mbps (the max you'll get on any BT service)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The reason your Bras Profile is a bit low is that problems have caused your sync rate to reduce. The Profile is reduced accordingly to keep the connection stable.

A high noise margin is good provided it does not go to a ridiculously high figure like 23456789dbs, which indicates a negative value, and the line will drop. Your NM of 14.9 indicates that your line could possibly support another 2-2.4 Mbs, but the fact that some fault is causing the connection to drop, in turn, reduces your Profile which reduces your throughput. Hopefully it is the router which is causing this, if so your line should connect at it's maximum speed of 8128kbps, giving you a throughput of about 7200kbps.

As IANTE suggests, plug into your test socket, if you have one, if your connection speed or noise margin rise, there is a problem with your internal wiring. If there is a rise, you throughput will not improve immediately, this can take up to 3 days to re-adjust your profile.

If you return to BT you will be on exactly the same service, they will probably not even move your connections in the exchange. The only advantage would be that ADSLMax is better understood by BT and you would get better guidance. With your attenuation you would probably have little problem getting the full 16mbps from Sky's Max service.

Have a look at this from Plusnet, which explains the service you are on, it is the same as Sky's Connect service.
      Broadband - Help & Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers for the info.
      I bought a new filter and tried that yesterday.
      Stayed conected for over 8 hours and had 2 DC's in a whole 12 hours.
      Both DC's happened within a few minutes of each other. Still don't know if the filter has made a difference but it appear to be alot better.
      I'll see how today goes along.

BTW I cannot get Sky Max in my area, even though the exchange is about 600yards from my back door!
      My replacement router should arrive soon. Hopefully that will fix my problems.