Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unstable connection in evenings & throughout night

This is a discussion on Unstable connection in evenings & throughout night within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; During the day, my connection is (usually) stable and can stay up for a good 12 consecutive hours or so ...

sniperscope is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDTON - Tonbridge
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unstable connection in evenings & throughout night

During the day, my connection is (usually) stable and can stay up for a good 12 consecutive hours or so without interruption. However, past about 7 or 8 pm, and usually lasting through to the early hours of the morning, i get CONSTANT connection drops every 20-30 mins, occasionally even more frequent. Sometimes the LCP just goes down (which is quicker to recover from), or the router will lose negotiation with the exchange completely and drop the line.

I have Sky BB max, and speeds usually stay around 13Mbps down, ~700-800kbps up.

I noticed sky's default firmware for the netgear DG834GT router was buggy and would freeze on connection drop. Therefore, I flashed it manually with the latest V1.02.14 firmware from netgear. This has fixed the freezing, but no improvement on the connection drops.

Here's some of my log for tonight:
      Code:
      Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:33 - Initialize LCP.
      Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:33 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Sat, 2000-01-01 00:00:51 - CHAP authentication success
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:37:11 - LCP down.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:37:19 - Initialize LCP.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:37:19 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:37:22 - CHAP authentication success
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:51:41 - Initialize LCP.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:51:41 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:51:41 - CHAP authentication success
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:01 - LCP down.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - Initialize LCP.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - CHAP authentication success
      When it says:
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:37:22 - CHAP authentication success
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:51:41 - Initialize LCP.

I'm assuming this is when the router loses communication with the exchange.

It just appears as if the router periodically experiences really poor SNR margins, and then just drops the connection.

I've hit the limits of my patience with this now and just want it fixed. I've tried the test socket, no luck, I've disabled UPnP, no fix, enabled SRA, nothing. I'm beginning to think this is a problem at the exchange which may require me contacting T3 and getting them to do a tie pair shift at the exchange.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to fix this?
      Cheers
      p.s. ask if you need any further router stats/problem details
      Last edited by sniperscope; 02-09-08 at 11:39 PM.

2. Advertisement
      gregh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Unstable connection in evenings & throughout night

First off I'd connect your sky router directly to your master socket and see if the problem is still there.

If it isn't the issue is with your cabling.

If it is still there, you can try reducing your target noise margin, either using Community Updates for the DG834GT or Mel's Notes
      http://www.pocketpcsoft.net Windows Phone software, forums and freeware

http://www.smartphonesoft.com for Android & other Smartphone software and freeware

merefolly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Boldon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hello Sniperscope,

I just wanted to say I have *exactly* the same problem, in fact since Sunday mine has got a whole lot worse, it even drops the connection through the day, I can sympathise how frustrating this is.

Like you I have very low SRN margins, if I reboot the router I get the connection back, today I have reset the router back to factory settings and up to now, fingers crossed it hasn't dropped the connection. I've tried connecting to the test socket and even replaced the faceplate with a faceplate from ADSL Nation to no avail.

BTW my router is the newer Netgear DG934.

Jo

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:01 - LCP down.
      This is when communication is lost.

Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - Initialize LCP.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Tue, 2008-09-02 21:55:09 - CHAP authentication success
      This shows it re-negotiating with the exchange, getting an answer and your details being accepted.

If you have tried the Test socket and got the same results, then the problem is with the line/exchange. All you can do is call Sky and ask them to trouble-shoot your line. They will not be amused if you tell them you have flashed the router with non-Sky firmware. Very few have had problems with the V1.03.87 firmware, your problem may lie completely with the phone line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There is another test you could perform also (if the drop outs carry on happening). If you have another router available (Say DLink or Cisco (or god forbid...shudders Belkin lol)) then test your connection on this and see if it holds up.

Is UPNP enabled? If so try Disabling it to see if things improve (As it has caused issues in the past).

My router kept on dropping the connection, every 2 - 5 - 37 - 52 minutes and every goodness how many hours etc. I couldnt even watch a single 20 minute episode on BBC Iplayer without the connection dropping. My own router solved it Its worth a test if all else fails.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)