Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can i connect a cable router with sky broadband?????

This is a discussion on can i connect a cable router with sky broadband????? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi everyone, i m a total noob with this broadband stuff. i really like the new netgear's WNR854T because of ...

alithegreat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

can i connect a cable router with sky broadband?????

hi everyone,
      i m a total noob with this broadband stuff. i really like the new netgear's
      WNR854T because of its gigabit lan ports but its a cable, dsl router. The only reason i want to upgrade is because of the laggy connection whenever i m playing on xbox live.

So plz tell me a step by step guide of how i can connect a cable router with sky's current router

THNX IN ADVANCE

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: can i connect a cable router with sky broadband?????

Are you on ethernet or lan? Also are you sure the lag is caused by the router?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ethernet i guess. i m not sure.
      anyway my xbox is connected to the router wirelessly and i have heard that wnr854t has a new n technology which would improve gaming i guess. i also watch movies which are stored in my computer on xbox 360 through my home network but using this router i am not able to view hd movies.

plzzz help me out with this problem i m really fed up with laggy connection while playing in xbox live

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What you have is a router, it will work with the Sky router, if connected by ethernet cable. You cannot connect it direct to the Internet as it does not have a Modem. If you want to try this, do the following -

Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254 (This may not be strictly necessary, but it keeps things nice and tidy)

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on its make. (Netgear 192.168.0.1)

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254.
      Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
      It is easier doing this by having it in the position you want to use it and connected to the PC you want to use.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long.

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and the PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Qwakrz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ivybridge
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The slowest part of your connection is currently the wireless bit.

Wireless is terrible for introducing lag, I frequently get pings of 30-40ms using wireless to connect to a server that is in the same building I am. Wired always reports <1ms as it is literally feet from me.

Try a network cable instead of wireless and you should notice a speed improvement. Also stop any downloads that are going on else where on your network connection as they will also slow down response times.

If this image is not here, my net connection has gone down.. Please hit it with a hammer

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What you have is a router, it will work with the Sky router, if connected by ethernet cable. You cannot connect it direct to the Internet as it does not have a Modem. If you want to try this, do the following -

Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254 (This may not be strictly necessary, but it keeps things nice and tidy)

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on its make. (Netgear 192.168.0.1)

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254.
      Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
      It is easier doing this by having it in the position you want to use it and connected to the PC you want to use.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long.

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and the PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.
      thnx for ur reply, can u tell if its worth spending my 70 pounds will it improve the speed or wireless performance

Thanks

If you really need wireless then it would be better spending a few pounds more on a Draft N Modem Router. Although this is against the T &Cs, if you don't ask for support from Sky when using it, you should be OK. An ethernet connection will be more stable than wireless and although it may require some extra cabling, it would be far cheaper. Powerline or Homeplug networking is also a good solution, giving you the advantage of ethernet without the wires, but may cost 40-50 to set up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

can u plz name some draft n modem routers that would improve the performance

Thanks

I am a bit reluctant to lead you down the Draft N path, for two main reasons. The Draft part means just that, it may not conform to the final specification, which means it may not be compatible with future products. Secondly cost, at the moment a quality Draft N router will cost from about 80 upwards. To that, if you want it to perform at its best, you have to add a Draft N adapter for each of your machines, which at the moment cost 40-50 each. This a not inconsiderable investment in something that may still not perform as well as you would like.

I would recommend that you have a look at Homeplug Networking it can be as fast as N wireless with none of it's problems. Several forum members use this system and I don't think any have found it a failure. If you are a laptop user there are types which act like a wireless bridge, bring the wireless into the room where you are working/playing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

can any1 plz send me a step by step guide which explains everything the guide by isitime worked for wired connections but not for wireless.

anyway, i cudnt change the ip address 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.254 coz it said that this will interfere with the WANIP or something. So plz can u send me a guide that will work with the wireless as well and plz explain everything as i m really bad with this wireless stuff

thnx in advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast