Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using the Sky Router (DG834GT) as a Modem for Another Router?

This is a discussion on Using the Sky Router (DG834GT) as a Modem for Another Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I've got the DG834GT but am used to the more powerful custom firmware of my Buffalo router which uses ...

RXP
      RXP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using the Sky Router (DG834GT) as a Modem for Another Router?

Hi,

I've got the DG834GT but am used to the more powerful custom firmware of my Buffalo router which uses DD-WRT. I was wondering if I configure my Sky router to DMZ off to the Buffalo router will that just mean the Sky router is acting as a modem? Then I can set all the port forwarding and other options via DD-WRT.

Anyone tried this?

2. Advertisement
      Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Using the Sky Router (DG834GT) as a Modem for Another Router?

I don't use my Sky router, but do use another Netgear modem/router which is set to be a PPOE bridge. I use an Endian PC firewall to control the modem, and do my routing.

Theres ways to get the Sky username and password out of the modem which then will allow you to use a replacement, do a search on the forum.

RXP
      RXP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Using the Sky Router (DG834GT) as a Modem for Another Router?

I'm actually using a the DGTeam custom firmware for my Netgear router. It has a modem option so you can only use the router as a modem. Unfortunately this only works with the wireless mode, so when you connect wirelessly you are effectively connected directly to the modem (so you get an outside IP). But I can't get it to do the same for one of the LAN ports :-/

Edit: Info incase anyone else wants to try this and comes across this post in future google searches :-p. DMZing to the 2nd router's WAN port works perfectly. The only naggle is the IP reported is internal, so 192.168.*.* rather than the actual WAN IP.
      Last edited by RXP; 21-08-08 at 03:47 PM.