Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems with Router

This is a discussion on Problems with Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I have had sky for a few months now everything is fine except the router they supplied have extreme ...

Plxply is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northolt
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Problems with Router

Hello,

I have had sky for a few months now everything is fine except the router they supplied have extreme problems with functioning correctly for example sometimes it decides that it DHCP server just want to stop giving out IP addresses or assigns the same one to two computers, also the UPNP will just stop functioning and require me to restart the router I already have to do this two times I day basically whenever I turn on another device. But my major problem is with the fact that I cannot use OpenDNS.

I have the Grey Sagem router and so far I think you have to go here https://www.cm9.net/skypass/generate.cgi type in information it requires and it will give you your username and password after that I will then be able to use any router that I want.

If I am so far correct I have three questions and if I am not please tell me how to do it properly

1. On the bottom of my router due to the bad font they use I remember having trouble determining if it was a O or a 0 will this effect me in any way?
      2. What router would you recommend for around 40 preferably with Draft N although one that supports firmware like dd-wrt or equivalent would be very much appreciated ( I would go slightly over my budget for it)
      3. At the moment I am over paying for 16mb broadband when I only get 2mb (due to the fact I live far from the exchange) if I get a different router will there be any speed change?
      Last edited by Plxply; 19-08-08 at 05:19 AM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Problems with Router

Your choice of router will not move you closer to the exchange If you post your stats people may be able to help you get the most from your line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

DHCP server just want to stop giving out IP addresses or assigns the same one to two computers,
      If this is happening then the router is faulty, you should report it to Sky. You could of course turn off the DHCP server and give your individual machines fixed addresses. This way you would never get an IP conflict. I suspect one of your machines already has a fixed address, this would cause a conflict.

There is no reason why you cannot set up OpenDNS on your individual machines. This over-rides the DNS of the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Your choice of router will not move you closer to the exchange If you post your stats people may be able to help you get the most from your line.
      I already have asked for advice and it seems that I am getting the fastest speed possible even when its plugged into the master plug or whatever its called there is hardly any difference. Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is no reason why you cannot set up OpenDNS on your individual machines. This over-rides the DNS of the router.
      It can be if I have to change setting for 5 computers , 3 laptops, 2 Original Xbox's, 1 Xbox 360, 1 PS3, 1 Wii, 1 PS2, 1 PSP and all of the consoles sometimes decided when I leave them unplugged they will completely forget about the network settings . I kind of preferred Virgin Media with the ability to use my own router where I can use whatever DNS I want.
      Last edited by Plxply; 19-08-08 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks

You are quite correct! There is no reason why DHCP should not work, unless some of your machines already have fixed addresses. Check that this is not the case and if not, phone Sky and report that your router is faulty as it will not give out IP addresses. You will have to get past Tier 1 to the higher support of CST, once there, hopefully they will agree to send you another router.

You are right about your speed, with your attenuation you will not do any better. Cable, or a house move, is the only way you will get faster speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are quite correct! There is no reason why DHCP should not work, unless some of your machines already have fixed addresses.
      Some of my devices do have fixed addresses such as my original xbox and 1 computer but they are assigned fairly high 192.168.0.200 and 192.168.0.201 which I know normally the DHCP server will not assign.

I was hopping that I could go down the road of changing my router to another one since it does also often struggle with UPNP especially with utorrent and my xbox 360 and I know that I never had these problems on my dlink router. I'm guessing though that it would not be possible with the current router I have?

Thanks

There is no reason why another router will not work, you only need to obtain the username and password from the Sagem and enter them in the other router. Be aware that this is against the T & Cs and you will not get support with another router connected.

Obtain name and word from HERE

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Has anyone been kicked off yet? I don't really mind about losing support with my router as I was fine with administrating it myself, I don't really care if I do get kicked off since I'm overpaying anyway Would O2 be a good alternative if I do get the boot? Also what router would you recommend?

Thanks for everyones help so far (I seem to be making more and more questions )

Thanks

I don't think anyone has been barred so far, that posts in the forum anyway.

I thought you just wanted to use your Dlink, or is it a cable only type? What you buy depends on your budget, Draft N modem/routers are available from about 60 to 200, it depends what you want from it. There are plenty on the forum using 'foreign' routers, I don't, as I don't have the need, someone will give you an idea.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Nope unfortunately my good ol'trusty dlink router is cable only, thanks for your help so far I would greatly appreciate a router though that supports a custom firmware like DD-WRT more than I want 802.11n since I want a QOS feature mainly due to the fact I use a PC to uh download multiple copies of Ubuntu and I would like to prioritize my games consoles over it but the only routers that support ADSL and Quality of Service are very rare and expensive around 100+ for the ones I found.

So basically I would like a router with 802.11g (I know big shock :P ) & support for open firmware.

Thanks for your help again everyone, I kind of feel guilty since I buy products from companies and I get much more slower support and a person who cant speak English properly