Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Wireless Amber light

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Wireless Amber light within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; due to an extremely slow connection due to what i assume was because i was using a 20M extension lead ...

Skeleton.Fossil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Wireless Amber light

due to an extremely slow connection due to what i assume was because i was using a 20M extension lead i have now moved my modem downstairs so it is plugged into the phone socket (With the microfilter) and plugged into a power socket, but i get an amber light and cannot connect to the internet. This happened before when i used the alternative method too, when it happened then My mum's partner had his mate come round and fix it, he said something about it had a fixed address and it started working. So i'm, assuming it had something to do with the LAN settings? I think it might be this same problem again but i don't understand what he was on about, does anyone have any ideas what he may have been talking about? currently when i go to my internet connections options i have nothing ticked apart from automatically detect settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband Wireless Amber light

Do you mean your Internet light is Amber or your LAN port light. If it is the first, it means you are not making a connection. First try resetting the router by pushing a biro into the reset hole at the back. Hold it there for 10 secs or until the tick flashes, then release it. Allow it to reboot and see if you can connect.

If it is a lAN port light it usually means that you are connecting at 10mbps, not 100 as you will with a modern adapter.

If you are at the Master socket try removing the faceplate and plug into the test socket behind it.

How are you connecting now?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you mean your Internet light is Amber or your LAN port light. If it is the first, it means you are not making a connection. First try resetting the router by pushing a biro into the reset hole at the back. Hold it there for 10 secs or until the tick flashes, then release it. Allow it to reboot and see if you can connect.

If it is a lAN port light it usually means that you are connecting at 10mbps, not 100 as you will with a modern adapter.

If you are at the Master socket try removing the faceplate and plug into the test socket behind it.

How are you connecting now?
      it's the internet light, when i had this problem before i was trying everything, resetting it trying new extention leads, changing the microfilter and it turned out to do with the actual computer itself, it was when you go to tools, internet options then connetions i was told it had a fixed address or something? and when it was changed the light changed? but now the problem is back i don't know what i'm looking for/at in that area?

at the moment i'm using a dongle to connect until i can use my sky modem.

Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't know of anyway a PC can stop the router syncing with the exchange. A router will sync even if it is not connected to a PC.

Your friend may have given your PC a fixed address, but this has nothing to do with the router connecting to the Internet.

You can look in the LAN properties of the PC at the Internet Protocol properties, If the 'Use this IP address' is selected your PC has a fixed address. As I have said, this has nothing to do with connecting to the Internet. You will have to phone Sky support to get this fixed, either the router is faulty or there is a fault with your phone line/exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok, thank you for trying anyway

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

solid amber light might either mean upstream router issue (syncing at 256kbps instead of 384/416) or its suspended...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

o no, it's flashing amber

Thanks

Have you phoned Sky support? That is the only way you will get it fixed, there is absolutely nothing else you can do.

TomD

Useful Utilites