Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Going from Sagem to Netgear router?

This is a discussion on Going from Sagem to Netgear router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been answered 1000's of times before - I can't find the answer! I am ...

swarrans is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Going from Sagem to Netgear router?

Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been answered 1000's of times before - I can't find the answer!
      I am trying to help a friend who has Sky BB and a Sagem router access his work Nortel VPN. I think through these threads I have established that there is a hardware conflict and that I need to change the router. He had a (non-Sky) Netgear DG834Gv3 router that I have just tried to connect up unsucessfully.
      I've plugged in the router using a LAN cable rather than trying for a wireless connection but it just won't "see" the router.
      I know I'm probably being thick - I expected to be able to log in to the router in the normal way http://192.168.0.1 and change all the settings needed to make it work with the Sky BB connection but I'm getting nothing.
      As the Netgear router is a generic one, do I need to flash the firmware with the Sky router FW to make it see it or is there something else wrong?

Thanks in advance

Simon

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Going from Sagem to Netgear router?

You will have to obtain the usename and password from the Sagem and enter these into the Netgear settings. This is normally all you have to do to make a connection.

These can be found by using James' utility from here-
      Getting your V1 and V2 router passwords - the safe way

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I did that - but where do I "enter" them when I can't log onto the Netgear router?

Simon

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry, I misunderstood your problem.

You could try this. Plug the Netgear into the power supply and use the reset button on the back to return it to factory settings. Hold the button in until the lights on the front flash, usually about 10 secs. Now try to connect using 192.168.0.1 as before. Username -admin Password - password or 1234

If this does not work try a hard reset by unplugging the power, push a biro into the reset button and holding it there, switch the power back on. Hold it for about 20 secs, then wait for the router to reboot, try again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you very much for your input. I didn't have to re-set the router in the end. For some reason that I still don't understand, it would not work using the LAN cable with my friend's PC. I used the wireless adapter in the end and it is all working fine now which is fantastic.
      I've made the mods to get the VPN working using Nortels Contivity VPN but can't check to see if that works until my mate tries it with his work laptop.

Fantastic forum this!

Simon