Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noob question on Firewall

This is a discussion on Noob question on Firewall within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; just purchased a PS3 & the only way i could connect wirelessly to PC was to disable my Zonealarm firewall. ...

super-saint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Noob question on Firewall

just purchased a PS3 & the only way i could connect wirelessly to PC was to disable my Zonealarm firewall. I have the Netgear router.

My question is ... do i need a firewall with a router or is there an inbuilt one ?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noob question on Firewall

Why are you connecting to the PC, when you can connect to the router?

To answer your question, the router has a built in firewall which will keep uninvited nasties out, but it will not stop outgoing nasties stealing info from your PC. eg, If you click a link in an email containing a trojan, the router will not protect you, as it thinks the message is legitimate as it is coming from your PC. If you are careful what you do, the router will protect you. If you are not, or you are not too experienced, you are better running a software firewall. The XP one is pretty useless, the Vista one is a bit better, but not by much. The Zone Alarm is a very good firewall, but needs some skill to configure properly, there are easier to use free options available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

super-saint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I am streaming music/video from my PC & without Zonealarm off the PS3 can not find servers

Anyone point me in the direction on how to confire Zonealarm with PS3 ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So you are streaming from your PC through the router to your PS3, not connecting directly to the PC?

I think what you will have to do is configure ZA to allow access from the LAN.
      I can't tell you exactly how to do this as I have not used ZA for years, no doubt someone will.

I would have thought ZA would have popped up an Allow or Disallow message when the PS tried to connect or when you tried to connect to it. Clicking allow should have solved your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.