Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using two sky routers to extend wireless

This is a discussion on Using two sky routers to extend wireless within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; HI I have a sky router and switch in my home network. On this I connect hardwired 3 PC's and ...

carlos01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: midsomer norton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using two sky routers to extend wireless

HI
      I have a sky router and switch in my home network.
      On this I connect hardwired 3 PC's and 2 Xbox,s
      Via wireless I connect a laptop, my Itouch and Palm.

My sky router hence wireless aerial is upstairs so when im downstairs or in the garden my wifi signal is poor. How can I improve this ? I have a new second boxed sky router, can I utilise this and if so how?

Thanks for any replies Carlo

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using two sky routers to extend wireless

If you want to set up a second router, follow these instructions.-

Enter the primary router LAN settings and change the last figure in DHCP server to 253 from 254

Enter the settings of the secondary router using the routers default address, which will depend on itís make.
      Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router (255.255.255.0) with an address of 192.168.0.254.
      Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.
      It is easier doing this by having it in the position you want to use it and connected to the PC you want to use.

Setup the wireless section with the same settings the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. Remember it must be connected by an Ethernet cable which can be up to 100m long. Wireless will not work.

Leave the WAN port unconnected!

If you have followed this correctly, you should be able to enter the Primary routers settings and in the Attached Devices section, you should see that the Secondary router is shown with the 254 address and the PC attached to it should be shown with a different address. You should also be able to see the Secondary routers settings by typing http://192.168.0.254/ in the address bar of any PC attached to the network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos01 View Post
      HI
      I have a sky router and switch in my home network.
      On this I connect hardwired 3 PC's and 2 Xbox,s
      Via wireless I connect a laptop, my Itouch and Palm.

My sky router hence wireless aerial is upstairs so when im downstairs or in the garden my wifi signal is poor. How can I improve this ? I have a new second boxed sky router, can I utilise this and if so how?

Thanks for any replies Carlo
      You could get a couple of homeplugs, one of these will extend your wireless and also has the benfit that you can move it around to extend it in certain areas.

I use these to great effect

1 x SOLWISE 85Mbps HOMEPLUG ADAPTER inc 54Mbps WIRELESS on eBay, also, Adaptors, Networking, Computing (end time 17-Aug-08 23:22:35 BST)

There are other makes and models to choose from

carlos01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: midsomer norton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Istme I will give this ago as soon as I get time and can kick the kids off it.

Couple of questions :-
      (1) Sometimes evenings I turn the router off or power off to reboot it. With the new setup this would be the primary one. Is there any method when I turn it back on, or can I just turn the primary or secondary routers off, and when I switch them on they are all set up
      (2) My devices will be connected to the primary or secoundary (xbox's PC's, PDA,s etc) routers. I have all their IPS setup manually will they remain the same despite whjich router they are setup.

Thanks - CArlo

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Rebooted, or powered off the routers should return to the way they were set up. Resetting, however will return them to factory settings and they would have to be set up again.

I think I am right in saying that they will be set up in the Primary, no matter what one they are plugged into. The Secondary router is acting only as a glorified switch.

I may be wrong, but if I am, I am sure I will be corrected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.