Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are sky going to upgrade to wireless n????

This is a discussion on Are sky going to upgrade to wireless n???? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I've been a sky customer for a couple of years now and am relativley happy with the service - ...

bowest is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ayr
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Are sky going to upgrade to wireless n????

Hi,

I've been a sky customer for a couple of years now and am relativley happy with the service - the connection drops out every now and then and the router needs re-booting to correct this, but other than this it's all good.

I'm getting an increasing number of wireless devices in my house now and I'm rapidly using up band width etc. I've been reading about wireless n technology and routers.

1) Do you think sky will offer upgrades to sky customers to wireless n routers? (obv you would have to pay but I'd be happy too).
      2) If not what is the best wireless n router tpo buy to be compatible with sky and is it easy to set up?

Cheers
      Tim

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Are sky going to upgrade to wireless n????

Sky are unlikely to offer upgraded routers. in the near future anyway.

It is fairly easy to connect a wireless N router to the Sky router, to give a better wireless performance. Any good quality router would do, but it is better using the same make as your adapters. These would also have to be 'N' to obtain the improved performance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bowest is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ayr
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

So if I'm underestanding you correctly, then I would need to buy an additional wireless n router (say a NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router WNDR3300) and plug that into my existing sky netgear wireless g router and use the 2 together? How does this work and are there intsructions here as to how to do it?

Then obviously I would need to upgrade my adapters to work with N technology i.e. get a new dongle for my desktop and a new card for my laptop etc.

Is the above correct? I would have thought I could just replace the existing sky router with the wireless n one after finding my username passowrd etc.

Cheers
      Tim

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you can just replace the router if you're willing risk going against T&C's of service...or try powerline adapters...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

The Netgear you mention would be a good choice, but it need not be a Netgear only the N router and adapters need match. I know someone may say you can use any N adapter and you probably can, but as N is still in Draft, there is no laid down spec as yet, hence the preference for matching.

Basically all you do is connect the N router to the Sky one with an ethernet cable, give the N an address in the Sky one's range and switch off it's DHCP server. That's about all there is to it. Note that it must be connected by ethernet, wireless connection between the routers will not work.

Powerline adapters are also my preference. 200mb Versions will out perform even Draft N with fewer problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Qwakrz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ivybridge
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You dont need a router if you are going to keep your Sky router, you just need an N type access point. These dont have the modem stuff inside and just connect to the sky router by a wire and allow connection of wireless equipment to the wired side of the network. Advantage of this is that you can put the access point well away from the sky router and in a better position to improve coverage, you will need to run an ethernet wire to it though.

Or, you could change the router for one that supports N wireless. I have a D-Link here that runs my wireless network at 300Mbps. The advantage of this is that you only have 1 box to position but you need to be near a phone point.

If this image is not here, my net connection has gone down.. Please hit it with a hammer

CodfishCatfish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky World
      Router: Hacker-day Asus RT-AC87U
      Sky TV: DRX895W 2TB
      Thanks

Smile Re: Are sky going to upgrade to wireless n????

Removed
      Last edited by CodfishCatfish; 19-07-09 at 10:39 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The new firmware upgrade for the Netgears have sorted out their stability issues.

There are ways to get your username and password from the Sky router, just look on this forum, you can then use any router you like (although this will break the T&C's)

If you don't want to break the T&C's then you should also be aware that you are not authorised to use Sky broadband for business use.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The modems use PPPoA as thats what is used in the UK. Its very possible to use third party equipment on the Sky connection. A lot of people here already do.

The 200Mb/s powerline connections are actually upto 100Mb/s full duplex, you in no way get anywhere near 200Mb/s in any one direction. As a radio ham I'd have thought you would be anti powerline devices as they introduce noise onto the mains cabling.
      There is no p in Thomson.

Thanks

Firstly there will be no point in trying to use a non authorized router with Sky Broadband.
      Maybe you should study the Forum before making statements like that.

As for the Sagem being better than the Netgears that is a matter of opinion, not fact. The V1 DG834GT is an excellent router, superior to both the V2 routers, in my opinion. Since the firmware was upgraded there have been no stability problems whatsoever.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast