Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My Internet from sky - please help!

This is a discussion on My Internet from sky - please help! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Looking at the photo, I would think that a wall has been removed or some other refurb and the socket ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: My Internet from sky - please help!

Looking at the photo, I would think that a wall has been removed or some other refurb and the socket just relocated by who ever did it, No doubt we will all find out soon

2. Advertisement
      Nemi01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My speed is gettin slower and slower now look it has gone from 8000, 4000, 3000 to this

i also had my internet cut of last night so when it was off i checked to see what my router stats were this is 2 stats few minutes apaprt.

and ok ill lug filters in and check if there are any other sockets that could be master... and oh i know the siring here is terrible.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The very high figure given for the noise margin indicates that the noise on the line has got so bad it has gone to a negative value. If you don't find another master, the only way to check where the problem is, is to do as Brian suggests and disconnect the extension.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

The wierd thing is , when my sky cuts out so does my gf sky, i live in london and she lies in cambidge very far appart we both have sky broadband and when i lsoe conenction so does she :S i always just thought it was sky.... and i just realse the wires coming out of the sockets are extension wires not plugged into something to they are just to extend the line. the filters are plugged into the extensions...

Thanks

So where is your router plugged in? It should preferably be in the Master with no extensions. It is also better having the filter plugged into the box rather than on the end of the extension.

I think you and your gf loosing connection at the same time is coincidence.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

But its not just once, yesterday was a really bad day... one my internet speed is gettin slower and slower since i got my sky boradband which was like 1 week ago i think, and everytime i cut of so does she this has happend maybe 6 times eaxctly same time.

and ok il put it into box, the internet is connected to the to of the 2nd box with 2 ports... the master box has a extension wire to as all the sockets do to lead to different locations throughout the house. the master socket isnt being used at the moment though... i did just try plug it in but the internet didnt re connected after 5 minutes so i connected it back to how it was.

Thanks

everytime i cut of so does she this has happend maybe 6 times eaxctly same time.
      Could be the bad weather you are having down there

i did just try plug it in but the internet didnt re connected after 5 minutes so i connected it back to how it was.
      That is a bit strange, if you are able to connect using an extension from an extension and not from the Master. It could be that some deposits have built up on the connectors, try sliding a plug in and out half a dozen times, see if that clears it. If the extensions from the Master socket work, there is no reason why it should not work with the filter/router. If you get a connection, remove the extensions from you twin socket and take the stats.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Could be the bad weather you are having down there

[ That is a bit strange, if you are able to connect using an extension from an extension and not from the Master. It could be that some deposits have built up on the connectors, try sliding a plug in and out half a dozen times, see if that clears it. If the extensions from the Master socket work, there is no reason why it should not work with the filter/router. If you get a connection, remove the extensions from you twin socket and take the stats.]

Or it could be that whoever wiried this up decided not to use standard connections, Iv'e no idea why anyone would but I have seen it in the past.

I should explain, and to go off topic for a second, the extension socket had the line pair connected to 4 and 3, the ring line on 5. A plug in extension was used and the user just connected the wires to the distant extension socket untill his phone worked. But if you tried a phone in the original extension it would not work, nor would the extension in a correctly wired socket!!
      Last edited by Brian69; 03-08-08 at 06:21 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok my internet speed isnt atm a issue im about to leave sky back to bt broadband because this is really annoying me, ill break it down....

Pimp Empires - The free online strategy roleplaying internet game that's fun! is a internet turn based game i play, using firefox or IE i still can log onto it ... after turning of my router for literally 5 seconds and turning back on... after that i can go onto it... after roughly 30-60 minutes it stop responding though all other sites work still. ALL.
      do the same process it works again :S ok wtf ... i dont get that..

secondly once again my internet just stopped working ..im on fone to my gf her internet literally stopped same time.. then i got signed out of msn and so did she. i didnt turn on my ps3or 360 ... so no interuprion other than POSSIBLY our phonecall. now it could be that the phoneisnt ran through the same filter as the broadband... ? but i want to know the top one first any ideas.

cause this is gettin a bit ridiculous cause it isnt just me its her aswell who lives 100 miles away.

is this definatly not just sky issue.

EDIT: and ontop of all this i just ran a speed test and i got this

so it went 8000+>3000>900>3700

im lost lmao.
      Last edited by Nemi01; 04-08-08 at 12:34 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The first main thing your need to sort is the internal wiring, without sorting that you will have a seriously unstable/ degraded service from ANY ADSL provider. You need to tidy it up, figure out what is supposed to be your main socket and sort the wiring from that point onwards. If you trace your wiring from where it enters the house which socket does it hit first? (Can you ID it in the photos?)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast