Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG834GT broken ethernet ports

This is a discussion on DG834GT broken ethernet ports within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, my first post here but i've been reading this forum for help since i got sky bb ; found ...

infin8y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question DG834GT broken ethernet ports

Hi, my first post here but i've been reading this forum for help since i got sky bb; found it very useful. So i went to bed last night with a perfectly functioning router and woke up with a broken one.

Ethernet ports 1,3&4 seem to be broken. When connected they neither light up nor provide internet access/LAN. Port 2 works fine, so evidently there's nothing wrong with the internet connection and its not my network cables, ive tried three different ones in all the ports and 2 is the only working one.

The only reason i can think of is that apparently we had lightning at ~6am, not that i saw it (sound asleep) Could it or some kind of power surge damaged it? (wasn't plugged into a surge protector, unlike all my other PC components)

Presumably I should contact sky but i wanted your thoughts first. Any other ideas on things i could try? i've reset it multiple times, had it unplugged for a couple of hours and, as aforementioned, tried 3 different CAT5 cables.

Do you think sky will provide a new one for free?

a picture of my two connectd PC's, as you can see only port 2 is lit up and working

Thanks for any advice

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT broken ethernet ports

If you ring up and tell them that its working but you can't use all the ports... probably not. If you ring up and tell them that your router isn't working full stop and that no lights at all are coming on when it's pluggged in.... yep they will replace it.
      I take it you have tried plugging both ends of the same cable into 2 ports at a time to test the router ports?

infin8y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky
      I take it you have tried plugging both ends of the same cable into 2 ports at a time to test the router ports?
      just tried every combination got no lights. Less than two ports is useless to me so i guess i'll try and con a new one from them.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not exactly conning one out of them but some agents may question replacing a router with a working port and wireless but no agent questions replacing a router that isn't powering up at all