Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting to router - some questions

This is a discussion on Connecting to router - some questions within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just signed up for Sky Connect, but am taking the precaution of keeping my wireless NTL connection until everything ...

Johnty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink Connecting to router - some questions

I've just signed up for Sky Connect, but am taking the precaution of keeping my wireless NTL connection until everything is sorted. I have a couple of questions which I'm sure someone here will know the answer to:

1. At present I have a Win98SE ethernet connection to my existing router plus 2 PCs with 98SE and 2 with XP connecting wirelessy. Will this be possible with Sky? I've seen mention that the minimum OS is 2000/XP. Or is this just for the machine which connects by ethernet? I would have thought I could perhaps just connect the Sky router directly to my ethernet port with my 98 machine(?) I can't think of any reason why the 98SE PCs should not be able to connect wirelessly, unless there is something I'm missing.

2. The guy I spoke to when ordering mentioned, I think, a maximum of 4 PCs connecting. Does this mean 4 connections by ethernet, and is there a limit on wireless connections? I'm also presuming it is unimportant what OS I am running to connect wirelessly.

Thanks for any help. I should have asked these questions when I signed up, but I was so gobsmacked when someone eventually answered the phone, I forgot!

2. Advertisement
      stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      1) I connect 5 pc's an Xbox a PS2 and an Xbox360(not testested yet as it never gets used) via wire with an extra network switch and 1 of them has windows 95, YES windows 95 as it's a fujisu stylus1200 tablet that my daughter loves to draw on. So to answer your question I think win98SE should have no problems.

2) You can connect as many machines as you want to but it's limited to 4 through the ethernet unless you get and extra switch hub. I also connect a few PDA's running WindowsMobile2003se and windowsmobile5. so OS is not an issue.

the only thing you might find is that if you need help setting it up sky won't be willing to help unles you have 2000/XP.

Johnty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'l try what I've got already, and if I hit problems I'll connect with my XP laptop and ring Sky. And wait.........