Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router keeps dropping connection

This is a discussion on Router keeps dropping connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've had Sky Broadband for about a week now and find I keep losing connection to it. Sometimes it's on ...

JayGee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router keeps dropping connection

I've had Sky Broadband for about a week now and find I keep losing connection to it. Sometimes it's on my PS3 which is connected with an ethernet cable, but mostly it's with my iBook G4 which is connected wirelessly.

I'm not sure of the status of the lights when I lose connection on the PS3 but to be honest it doesn't happen enough to irritate me. When it happens on my iBook though it's only the wireless light that goes out. Then it blinks amber for a while and then goes back to green, as if it's been reset.

I think it might be something to do with my girlfriend's iPhone: it seems that whenever she connects to the Internet through it (using the Sky router as opposed to the phone's Internet service itself) the wireless light goes out.

Of course the easiest solution would be to just not connect the iPhone to the router, which we'll probably end up doing, but I'm still curious as to why it's doing it - surely it's not a good thing, and if it happens on the iPhone does that mean it'll happen on any other wireless components I try to connect that aren't my laptop?

I hope someone can shed some light on the situation!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router keeps dropping connection

Might want to try a channel change in case the iphone is actually interfering with the signal coming off the router itself. Really when it happens it would be good to know if you have dropped wireless connection or connection to the adsl servers.
      Try going into 192.168.0.1, user name admin, password sky and see what channel the router is on (click setup in top left of page). If its on auto then drop it into channel 11 or 13 and see if that helps.
      Do you see any other wireless networks in your available networks list on the computer or the Iphone??

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, have dropped it to 11 now. Yeah there are loads of wireless networks in the area so you're right it's probably being interfered with quite a lot. Hopefully this will solve it.

It happened again last night (this time on the PS3 again) and I realised it's actually the Internet light that's going out on the hub, not the wireless one. Will changing the channel still solve this problem?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nope if its the internet light going out you are losing synch, are you in the main socket on your telephone line, any extensions in use, anything on the line without filters?
      Can you post a set of stats showing snr, attenuation etc?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm using a big ol' 10 metre cable cuz whoever designed my house put the phone sockets on the opposite side of the room to the power sockets (genius!). If you can show me where I'll find those stats I'll post them for you. I had a look through the 192.168.0.1 site thing but couldn't spot them on first go...

Btw changing the channel has meant that the iPhone doesn't automatically disconnect the hub from the Internet, which is good, but I don't know how temporary a solution it is.