Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can Sky Modem been used with a different service

This is a discussion on Can Sky Modem been used with a different service within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a dial up modem for my virgin service which I am happy with but my fathers has bought ...

mgallear is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can Sky Modem been used with a different service

I have a dial up modem for my virgin service which I am happy with but my fathers has bought a laptop and wants to get on the internet. I have been given a Sky wireless modem - it is tall, looks like something out of the film 2001 and has got Sagem on it. Plugged it in and tried the sagem utility on the Sky disc but it failed to find my ethernet card? Not found a Sagem site with modem drivers?

Is it podssible to use this modem with a diffrent service provider?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can Sky Modem been used with a different service

A Sky router will not work with a dial up service, only broadband. Routers do not require drivers, the Sky disk configures your PC for the Sky service, it is no use for any other provider.

If you do have an ADSL service, not cable or dial up, you will find instructions on how to set the router up for that in the Technical Section of the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Are you asking if the Sagem can be used on another ISP apart from Sky?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes - Virgin broadband - I am not in the Sky broadband area

I am getting them impression that the password and log in name is hardwired into it?

Anybody got any crafty ideas on how to get a wireless modem from Virgin?

Does anybody know what it is and is it worth the 40 plus 20 to connect my PC to it?

Many thanks for reading my post and replying. Sorry for drifting off topic for this forum.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi

The Sagem has the Sky Username and Password hard coded into it. afaik You cannot manually input any other details for another ISP. I may be wrong, but if you wanted to use a Sky router on VM then you would need the White router, a Netgear DG834GT, and then you would have to reflash it with Netgear FW.

But then again VM is cable and so it would not need the modem part off any of the Sky router's, unless you are on a BT re badged product from VM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm afraid you raise several complications. Virgin also supply ADSL broadband (not just cable), so which do you have ?

If it's cable you can add an appropriate (non ADSL) wireless router to the cable-modem. This would allow you to share the service wirelessly with your Pa.

If it's ADSL broadband, Virgin will be able to supply you with an ADSL wireless router. Or you could buy one fairly cheaply retail -- if Virgin will guide you on setting it up.

I believe the Sagem router can be hacked but it probably isn't worth the bother. It can be used as a wireless access point -- connect via router and your computer's ethernet sockets and your Dad may be able to share files with you.

Whether he can share internet that way is more problematical -- see Windows Help on Internet Connection Sharing. ICS is usually done by linking a second computer via ethernet cable to the first which has the internet. Whether it can be done via wireless I'm not sure -- but I can tell you that ICS is a pretty poor solution even via ethernet.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for all the replies!

My Virgin broadband is indeed via a BT line.

I am fairly IT knowledgeable but never had anything to do with wireless or connecting PCs or Laptops to the internet through it.

I clearly have people interested in this post who really know what they are doing.

I could get a wireless modem/router? through Virgin by increasing my subscription to 8mb but I doubt I will get a faster service for the 33 for the year and then by going back down a year later or by just paying them 40. Suspect I will need something to connect it to my PC - which Virgin offers at 20. The new laptop has a wireless modem in it.

The other option is to buy the kit. The PC will be downstairs away from the telephone connection and the laptop upstairs.

Are there any good websites that will explain what is involved?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would not advise buying a kit from Virgin. I believe they supply a DG834gsp, which is locked to there service. This could cause complications if you decide to switch supplier. I don't know if it has been hacked, like the Sky routers, if it has not it would be useless.

As NR suggests, buy a DG834GT from eBay, they are going very cheaply now. If you want to connect your PC wirelessly, you would need a wireless adapter which can be got for 10-20, either USB or PCI. If your PC has a Network card, and probably has, you could connect by ethernet cable, which can be obtained in various lengths up to 100m. Ethernet will always be superior to wireless for both stability and speed.

Routers are very much plug and play, they require to be set up with the username and password for your ADSL connection and that is about all. Full details of the requirements can usually be found from the ISP (unless it is Sky of course, then it is kept secret) The instruction manual for the router gives full details on how to enter the details.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks everbody

Gone for a Netopia 3347W Wireless Router from Digidave - it is used and supposedly free for 10 p&p but if it works it will not only do for me but also teach me something about wireless networking.

Interestingly enough I phoned Virgin to see if I could upgrade my service to get a wirless router - I could but I would have to wait until August as they are changing their system over to exactly the same products! Thats plan B if the Digidave is dead in the water.

Almost -