Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless router to router

This is a discussion on wireless router to router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, This is first post having just received my sky broadband. Previous to sky I already had broadband and had ...

paulb321 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless router to router

Hi,
      This is first post having just received my sky broadband.

Previous to sky I already had broadband and had a netgear DG834G. So I thought I would use both routers to extend the wireless coverage around the house. Well I thought this would be a easy task and, to be honest, I am completely fed-up with playing with the router.

I have searched this forum and found a couple of threads which wer useful. The most useful being :

Sky Sagem Router and Linksys WRT54GS

I followed everything what was mentioned here and able to route between the routers(with a patch cable) but unable to do this wirelessly.

The SSID, Region, Channel are Mode exactly the same on both routers and I have disabled the 'Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)' on the DG834G, as indicated in the above link, but still NO luck.

Can someone please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way the sky router is connected to the ADSL connection(my master router) and the DG834G(slave router with DHCP server disabled) is connected(or should be wirelessly) to the sky router.

Hope this makes sense.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless router to router

Unless a router is specifically configurable to be used as a wireless bridge/extender (and your DG834G is not) I would be extremely surprised if you will find this works reliably. Running two routers on the same LAN (wireless or not) is usually troublesome as the routing table in the slave router will always expect a WAN connection directly and it cannot get one.

My advice would be to save yourself a load of pain and buy a cheap wireless extender (NB this is not a Router even though it looks like one) such as the Netgear WG602 http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_ac...ints_WG602.php which is designed to be used in the configuration you need or better still a powerline ethernet wireless bridge such as this one from Devolo http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produk...lessextsk.html

You might not like the fact that you have to spend money to achieve this solution when you have a perfectly good wireless router spare but this will save a lot of pain in the long run.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 26-06-08 at 05:40 PM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You should be able to extend wireless range by linking in a second wireless router by ethernet. I think you have to change the IP address of the second to a fixed address so that it doesn't clash with the first and turn off DHCP. Have a look at this:

Wireless router as access point/switch - NETGEAR Forums

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes) . I have never seen this working effectively but clearly it is possible. However it does rely on a wired ethernet connection between the two routers and you still presumably have the issue that with two firewalls in series (One effectively behind the other) any rule changes have to be entered twice (or else you could remove the default inbound blocked rule on the slave router) . Also the instructions say that DHCP pass through "may" not work so you should use fixed IP addresses on client devices - This is both a royal pain in the backside and yet another way in which this setup could cause grief if it doesn't work reliably.

Paulb321 said that he couldn't use a wired ethernet connection to link the two routers permanently (presumably because there is no cable in place between the eventual location of the second router and the master router) - the post on the netgear site says that this is a prerequisite in which case either of the two suggestions I made remain the best options unless I've got it round my neck again!
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 26-06-08 at 07:24 PM.