Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help - Amber Internet Light & disconnection

This is a discussion on Please help - Amber Internet Light & disconnection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just joined this forum to try and find an answer to my router problem. I had Sky Broadband activated ...

MickeyT82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Please help - Amber Internet Light & disconnection

I've just joined this forum to try and find an answer to my router problem. I had Sky Broadband activated a couple of days ago and immediately tried to get my new Xbox 360 up and running on Xbox Live.

I set up the router using the setup CD on my laptop whilst connected to the router via an ethernet cable. Once I'd done the setup, I switched to using my laptop wirelessly.

The Xbox 360 is not wireless ready out of the box, so when i went to get it setup on Xbox Live I connected it via an ethernet cable to one of the yellow ports on the back of the Sagem Sky router.

Frequently throughout the Xbox Live registration process the green internet light on the router would go solid amber, and then sometimes blink amber and red very briefly. I would get disconnected from Xbox Live whilst these light were on. Then the green light would return, but the Xbox could not reconnect to Xbox Live unless I reset the router, despite the fact the internet light had gone back to green again.

I tested the wireless part by having both my Xbox connected and my laptop wirelessly connected. Both connections woul cease when the amber light comes on, but strangely when the green light returns, the laptop's connection would work fine again, whilst the Xbox would refuse to reconnect unless I reset the router.

Anyway, the final oddity is that the amber light only seems to ever appear when I'm trying the use the Xbox. I have had no amber light problems at all when I've just been on the laptop through the wireless connection.

I have a D-Link router of my own that I would love to try to see whether the wired Xbox connection is just something that the Sky Sagem router is struggling with, but I've read on here that to change the router would be breaking my terms and conditions. Additionally, I don't think I have the username and password necessary to set up the D-Link router anyway. I've also tried to create a wireless bridge on my laptop to try and see whether the Xbox can function without disconnections via wireless (given that my laptop is managing fine), but I can't get the ICS stuff to work. I don't really want to go out and buy the 50 wireless adaptor for the Xbox only to find that the amber light still appears and that the problem is something different entirely.

The only other possibility is that the disconnections occur when I'm downloading something large - I've never downloaded anything larger than a 54mb ipod firmware update on my laptop, but on the Xbox I've been downloading game demos, films and playing online when the amber light has appeared and the connection has died. Not sure whether that's a coincidence or not.

Sky technical support have had me connecting the router to the test socket and indicated that the master socket is where I should have the router according to my terms and conditions, but there is no power source in the cupboard where the test socket is - I'd have to have the cable trailing across the hallway floor. And that would end any chance of having the Xbox connected via ethernet cable since it's too far away.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be? I can go and find any technical information that is required - just please let me know where I go to get it.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Please help - Amber Internet Light & disconnection

To be honest you were given the best advice when you were told to plug into the Master socket, although it being in the T & Cs is a new one on me. Using an extension, especially a low grade one, is always going to give problems with high speed broadband. The only way you can check what is causing the problem is to take the router stats from your normal position then plug the router into the Test socket, which is behind the Master faceplate, take the stats from the router and post both sets here. Don't worry too much about the Xbox for the time being, that can be sorted out when your connection is proved stable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Without wanting to sound like too much of a duffer can I just ask which router stats do you need? Where do you go to get the necessary information - is it into the 192.168.0.1 router information or is it the Windows network connection bit? Cheers for your reply by the way.

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes the router stats.
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay - these are the stats for the router as it is plugged into the slave socket in the living room where I've had the problems:

WAN PPPoA
      LAN
      WLAN

TxPkts:

WAN 15956
      LAN 15
      WLAN 27968

RxPkts:

WAN 24103
      LAN 0
      WLAN 19313

Collisions:

All three zero

Tx B/s:

All three zero

Rx B/s:

All three zero

Up Time:

WAN 15:36:38
      LAN 15:49:24
      WLAN 15:49:02

ADSL Link:

Connections Speed:

Downstream 5024 kbps
      Upstream 416 kbps

Line Attenuation:

Downstream 36.0db
      Upstream 20.0db

Noise Margin:

Downstream 11.3db
      Upstream 13.0db

I'll get this info at the master socket shortly to compare.

Thanks again.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to note, the Xbox is not plugged in to the router at all at the moment. I can get these figures again with the Xbox plugged in if that's necessary.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Until the better qualified come along,just noticed your connection speed

upstream 416,i think this means you are on the DLM trial in which some people seem to have problems,someone more clued up may confirm this.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Upstream 416,i think this means you are on the DLM trial in which some people seem to have problems,someone more clued up may confirm this.
      No, 416 upstream is the standard upstream for Mid, DLM setting is usually 412.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok i never knew that,i am on mid but my upstream has always been 384.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just an update - I've been out and bought a 10 metre ethernet cable so that I can have the Xbox plugged into the router whilst the router stays in the same position it's been in when there's been no problems. All the other times I've had to have the router on the floor because the cables haven't been long enough. It's been on 7 minutes now downloading a 1Gb game demo and so far no sign of the amber internet light........................

These are the stats mid download:

WAN PPPoA
      LAN
      WLAN

TxPkts:

WAN 133878
      LAN 191072
      WLAN 63250

RxPkts:

WAN 241887
      LAN 96075
      WLAN 47660

Collisions:

All three zero

Tx B/s:

WAN 8280
      LAN 576288
      WLAN 0

Rx B/s:

WAN 564696
      LAN 15318
      WLAN 0

Up Time:

WAN 0:08:07
      LAN 18:52:44
      WLAN 18:52:22

ADSL Link:

Connections Speed:

Downstream 5024 kbps
      Upstream 416 kbps

Line Attenuation:

Downstream 36.0db
      Upstream 20.0db

Noise Margin:

Downstream 11.7db
      Upstream 13.0db

11.5 mins now and still working well...................!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast