Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Wired / Wireless Network / Router Problems

This is a discussion on Wired / Wireless Network / Router Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey all, I have been having a networking problem for about 3 days now as i have just moved back ...

EJDSlayer is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Wired / Wireless Network / Router Problems

Hey all, I have been having a networking problem for about 3 days now as i have just moved back home, it is as follows:

Wireless, I have the Netgear Wireless Box (Centrally positioned in the house) with 1 computer connected via a wire (Working correctly) and a second trying to connect via a Netgear WG111T Wireless USB Adapter. All the software and drivers are correctly installed. The issue i am having is the signal between the adapter and box seems to be varying constantly between 10 - 70%, and it seems to disconnect every 5 mins or so, where the USB has to be reconnected for it to work again, and it starts all over again. I personally am not a fan of wireless internet (parents choice, also before you all assume i am too young to be sorting this i am 19 and studying computing at uni, just moved back for the summer), so i am trying to remove the wireless aspect by connecting via a wire. As ethernet cables do not fit the stupid adapters you are provided with for the phone sockets, i have a normal wire which then connects to a BT adapter which turns it into a USB port, which then connects to my computer (i have also tried using just a wire and not the USB adapter), but the computer cannot find an internet connection. Looking on the internet for help everything suggests that the main computer being used (the one working correctly) must be enabled to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" but this setting is simply not there(it is present on the upstairs but the downstairs does not have it). Meaning i cannot connect to Sky either wirelessly or via a wire, can anybody help me please. I have a feeling the downstairs computer is configured wrong, hence a wired network not working. But i cannot understand why the wireless is not connecting properly either, or the unstability of the signal.
      (Also both computers are running XP, all have the required networking cards, and all have been able to connect to other networks before)

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Wired / Wireless Network / Router Problems

I am a bit confused by what you are trying to do. You appear to be trying to connect to the internet by plugging a cable into the phone line. This is a no-no, you must connect by plugging into the router. The filters supplied only serve 2 purposes, they allow the router to be plugged into the phone line through the RJ11 port and separate the ADSL signal from the voice signal, to prevent electronic chatter on the phone. They must be used to connect any device that is plugged into the phone line.

If you want to connect by wire you must use an RJ45 cable (up to 100m.) between your PC and the router. Alternately you could purchase a Power Line system, which converts your domestic power circuit into a Network. You can find details of these here-
      HomePlug & Powerline |

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Re: Wired / Wireless Network / Router Problems

Didn't he post this elsewhere too and get told the same thing about the tel sockets?