Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

IP address and DHCP problems in Vista

This is a discussion on IP address and DHCP problems in Vista within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I recentely reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate, but since then i have had contionous problems with my internet, I dont know ...

Gagira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

IP address and DHCP problems in Vista

I recentely reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate, but since then i have had contionous problems with my internet, I dont know whether it is WINDOWS or SKY fault.

I cant seem to gain a temporary ip address from my router. The lights and all show that the router is connected. But Vista cannot get and address from the DHCP thing, I can't even login to the Netgear Management (192.168.0.1) webpage.

I can sort this all out when I set a static IP, but now I have trouble port forwarding Utorrent. I have sucessfully set the rules by the Router Management Page, but when I test the port It says, Connection Timed out.

HElp Please, I dont know Who to blame, everthing was fine before I reinstalled vista. Why?, has anyone else sucessfully connected by DHCP in VISTA.

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: IP address and DHCP problems in Vista

I use Vista and DHCP without a problem for both LAN and WiFi connections. Like you I've just has to reinstall Vista (hard disk problem) and update it to SP1. This hasn't changed my ability to connect.

Could it be a Firewall problem (try disabling the Windows Firewall and any 3rd party you have installed).

How are you changing the static IP if you can't access 192.168.0.1?

Thanks

Thanks, I dont know why I cant access the netgear management page while using a dynamic IP. I spent forever trying to fix it, but then I looked at the sky CD-ROM and it gave instructions to set as a static IP, it is currently 192.168.0.2 It works for now anyway, but I think there is prolem with the connection between my router and computer. I try to forward ports but from test I get Connection Timed out.. I assume that my router is forwarding the port, but the is problem betwen the computer and router.

So if I disabled static IP adress from, shouldn't I be able to access the NetGEAR Management Page? Do you have to change settings on the router to make a Static IP address?

If I set a dynamic address the little network icon at the bottom has a yellow warning light, and say limited, unidentified network?

HELP

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before you do anything else, go to the LAN adapter manufacturer's site and download the latest Vista drivers for it. Install these and see how you get on. If you have not already done so, install all the latest motherboard drivers first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you must have set up the port forward wrong.

either that, or you are running a software firewall.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think your problem goes a bit deeper than just being unable to port forward. Here is another couple of things you can try if updated drivers don't help.
      1. Go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections tab and click the Lan Settings button. Untick all the boxes for Auto configuration and/or Proxy server if they are ticked.
      2. Open the LAN Properties of your Network card and untick the Internet Protocol V6 TCP/IPv6 and make sure that V4 is ticked.
      3. A grasping at straws solution that sometimes works, is to unplug the Network cable from your PC, reboot the PC and plug in the cable back in.
      4. You might also want to look at the Control Panel>Problem Reports and Solutions, there may be something there which will help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the Help guys, but I went ahead and reinstalled VISTA for the 6th time. It works fine now, portforwarding and everything. Lets hope it lasts

Thank you