Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sagen Router and VPN Issues again

This is a discussion on Sagen Router and VPN Issues again within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have recently received my new sky router. The dark gray one, which I believe is sagem. The router works ...

akhtara7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02476
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sagen Router and VPN Issues again

I have recently received my new sky router. The dark gray one, which I believe is sagem. The router works fine except when I attempt to use my VPN. I have read some of the problems people have been having with VPN and Sagem router. The problem I am having is slightly different. I am able to connect to my VPN network but most of the time I am not able to access any of the remote apps.

For example when I try to open a remote DB I see the router light flashing as if it is doing something but I get a connection timed out error. The strange thing is firstly i can connect to my VPN network but nothing works. Sometimes it seems to work. For example yesterday I managed to connect for 1 minute before the routers red light started flashing and i got disconnected couldn’t connect again. Other times it works for days. My previous netgear worked without any problems.

I am not sure if the router is blocking or something. I have tried opening all of the inbound connections. I have also disabled my Norton Firewall with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sagen Router and VPN Issues again

I have also disabled my Norton Firewall with no luck.
      This may be your problem. Many have found that disabling the Norton firewall does not turn it off. You could check by uninstalling it completely and see if that helps. If it does you will have to allow access through or use another firewall that does allow access. I think with a properly set up router Norton is probably overkill, there are much lighter firewalls available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could check by uninstalling it completely and see if that helps
      I had a feeling I would need to do this. I shall give this a try tonight and see if it does work.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had some luck . I added the rules mentioned in the following link

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! Instructions for setting up VPN rules on the Sky Router Netgear DG834G

Happy to report it has started working. I will see if it stays active over the next week or so and see if i have any other issues

I didn't have to make any changes to my Norton Firewall, once I had given it permission to allow VPN to access the web

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

what vpn client are you using as there was a lot of issues regarding some getting through the Sagem router...might be helpful for other users
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am using a Cisco VPN Client 5.0.02.0090 on Vista.

Still looking good. Connecting to my VPN first time round never worked with the new Sagem router always on the 4th or 5th attempt, currently with the new changes it has been connecting first time round.

Will report back again in a weeks time to see if the problem persists

andybarker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I recently moved to Sky, and heard about the VPN issues - so I bought a Vigor ADSL router ahead of time as I couldn't afford not to be connected to the office for long.

I got the Sagem router, and I was able to connect to the office VPN without any problems at all, using Windows Dial Up Networking to the office Windows VPN Server.

However I also needed a hardware Zyxel VPN to the office for an IP Phone. For this, I have a hardware VPN gizmo that the phone plugs into. To get this to work, I simply set the DMZ on the Sagem router to the IP of the hardware VPN device.

No problems at all (except keep getting disconnected every few days, so have to reconfigure the firewall at the office to let me back in!).

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that's good to hear - makes me wonder how others had issues before unless it is certain VPN clients not being compatible...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sagen Router and VPN Issues again

Just to update. No problems so far, VPN has been working great. Looks like the firewall rules have fixed everything

jonnywig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have recently rec'd the Sagem router form Sky and after being promised by Sky that I could either use my own equipment and that accessing my work VPN should not be a problem I find that I am having similar VPN problems to others within this forum. Set up of my standalone home PC and Laptop in the house was fine but my work laptop will not connect through. Do I have to change settings on the laptop and the router to enable this functionality? Any help appreciated as I am currently having to travel to the office (110mile round trip) due to the fact that I can not use my broadband for connecting to the office VPN/ authentication systems.

I was previously with plusnet and there were no such issues with connecting to the office so I am assuming it must be the set up on my laptop/ the router that is preventing me from accessing the VPN. Additional Info: we use a secure ID cards to gain access to the network and Corina/ Nortel and Contivity VPN services.

Any help would be apprecited as the support from Sky on the above issues has been dire. They refused to provide me with the relevant username and password details in order that I could setup my own wireless router (the one that was being used forthe previous PlusNet Service). As any wireless router would require this detail connect it was a complete lie by their sales department when they say you can use your own equipment to connect. If anyone knows how to obtain this set up detail it would be very much appreciated as I think I would prefer to set up my own wireless router from scratch rather than using the Sagem in the longer term - that's if I decide to keep Sky after the useless support they have provided!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast