Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to Sky BB - atrocious speed problem!

This is a discussion on New to Sky BB - atrocious speed problem! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have just changed my ISP from Pipex/Tiscali to Sky Max. I previously was using a Netgear DG834G with ...

mrs.ferret is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New to Sky BB - atrocious speed problem!

Hi

I have just changed my ISP from Pipex/Tiscali to Sky Max. I previously was using a Netgear DG834G with which I have had absolutely no problems. My connection was very reliable and stable (about 2.2mb). Sky have sent me the DG934G and since switching over to Sky I now have a laughable connection speed as you can see below. The only thing different in my setup having switched to Sky Broadband is the router - all wiring/filters etc. exactly the same.
      I have been having a dig around to see where the problem could lie but as Iím a complete newbie Iím hoping someone could help point me in the right direction.

My router stats are as follows -

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 64 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16db 4.5db
      Noise Margin 31db 7db

Checked with DSL ZoneUK Ė according to this 330metres from exchange
      Also checked out DSL ZoneUK to ensure my setup/filters etc ok. My setup is like example 1 here (ie. Basically a telephone and router with the addition of a wireless laptop)

Unable to test the master socket as described on Sky User as donít appear to have a test socket (my master socket is like the right hand one as pictured on the DSL ZoneUK Extension Wiring / Disconnection Help page).

Any help would be much appreciated

mrsferret

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New to Sky BB - atrocious speed problem!

You look to be on the test speed or wrong router config, when did your line activate and was the router connected to the line prior to this date? You will need to call Sky BB tech support and ask to be troubleshot for slow connection so that CST can reset your config on the line.

mrs.ferret is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes - you were right - I was on the test speed. I'm up to 7mb now. The tech guy said I should be able to get up to 14mb on my line but for some reason the connection won't stabilise at > 7mb. My master socket is pretty old (non NTE5) so could be a problem with that?
      But at the moment just glad to get a proper connection back!

thanks
      mrsferret

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any issue on the line or socket can cause a serious drop in speed. How many sockets have you got on the line, are you using any extension and do you have a sky tv box connected to the tel line at all? It may well be that your old socket wiring has degraded or the wiring needs tidying up a bit but thats something else that can be advised on once the basics are checked out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With an attenuation of 16dbs, you should easily achieve 16Mbps. You really need to get your wiring fixed, preferably by getting a NTE5 socket, fitted with an ADSL faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Clemster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01980
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had terrible speed when I joined Sky. I went through everything with technical. We then decided to cap the line and once that was done my speed increased. I am on the 8mb package but I rarely get more than 3mb. Ah advertisers dont you just love em "Up to 8mb"

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ah advertisers dont you just love em "Up to 8mb"
      That toothless terrier Ofcom is collaborating with ISPs to set up a system where everyone signing up with an ISP will be told the actual speed they will get. It is then up to the user to accept or decline. MORE

Irrespective of whether this scheme actually goes live, I think the 'Up To' blurb will still be used, as there does not seem to be a reasonable alternative. It will also not help those that have already fallen into the trap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.