Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing Sky router???

This is a discussion on Changing Sky router??? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi WatchOut Newbie About!!! I have beeen with sky for about 3 months now, I have one of the sagem ...

Stavros2008 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Changing Sky router???

Hi

WatchOut Newbie About!!!

I have beeen with sky for about 3 months now, I have one of the sagem wireless routers. I recently discovered that the wireless transfer rate was only 11Mbps. I want to change it for a 54Mbps router and was wondering how I could do it? I know that changing your router is against T&C's but if I bought a sky netgear 54Mbps router from ebay (from an x-sky subscriber), would i be able to put my username and password into it and use it?

Thanks All

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Changing Sky router???

No point I'm afraid. All the Sky routers have the same wireless spec AFAIK and it is 802.11b/g which gives you a theoretical 54MB/s only if you are in "G" mode for the router and on your computer's wireless card. In reality however you never get 54Mb/s because you don't live in a test lab under ideal conditions - 11Mb/s doesn't sound that bad for any 802.11b/g router in the real world. 11Mb/s is of course only an issue if you are transferring files between computers on the same WLAN regularly. Won't hold up browsing in reality unless you are getting the full 16Mb/s from Sky and even then you probably won't notice. What is it you are doing which makes you see this as a big issue?

If you do want to use a different router you can get the password from James67's website - Check out this thread Getting your V1 and V2 router passwords - the safe way - Just bang em into pretty much any old ADSL 2+ router as long as you are comfortable with the Ts&Cs issue.

The other way, if you were going to buy another router anyway is to buy a wireless access point instead and use that for wireless, disabling the built in wireless on the Sky router. Just hook it up to the sky router via cat5 cable. That way you keep your legal router and can get 802.11N if that is what you want. Don't forget though that the laptop/computer needs to be wireless N compatible to get more throughput.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 24-05-08 at 01:45 AM.