Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So What Exactly Does Happen Between 7pm and 8pm?

This is a discussion on So What Exactly Does Happen Between 7pm and 8pm? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Come on are there any BT , Sky, or Easynet people who can actually provide a reasonable and believable explanation ...

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So What Exactly Does Happen Between 7pm and 8pm?

Come on are there any BT, Sky, or Easynet people who can actually provide a reasonable and believable explanation for this?

It's just too much of a coincidence don't you think? SNR's dropping - reboot required time - somebody or something must be causing this!!!

And NO kettles being put on, streetlights, Eastenders and Corrie will not be acceptable answers!!!

2. Advertisement
      LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I think it is street lights to be honest, as the same thing happens on BT MaxDSL. If you leave your router on the lower sync, then you should not need a reboot.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The overall increase in traffic on the equipment probably plays a large part as well. If you open you stats window and then run a download you will see your snr drop by .2 or so and when the download finishes it will go back up.

The sheer act of pushing electrons through the wires causes a drop , this effect mutiplied by the extra usage at night prbably accounts a lot for it, and i'm not just talking about your use - everyones together

smokie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      ok dingdong if what you say is true and i dont doubt you for a moment
      the one thing a lot of people agree on is the fact they didnt have this problem with there last isp and like myself i use the netgear router which is the same router i used for years whith my last isp and i didnt have any of the problems i have now

the amount of people that have phoned sky myself included and they still treat the problem like they never heard of it befor each time you phone
      i can live with the problem if sky would let people know they where looking into it

end of moan

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      We are talking to representatives in the comms channel to try and find a definitive fix or a how to test type scenario...

We will post as soon as we have some news etc

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      thanx newsreader

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      can customer sevice do anything to the line after talking to them last night
      and them looking at the line my noise margin has never been so high as it is now i wondered if they did a fix

it was about between 6.0 to 7.0 on a good day its now 9.0 and still going up
      and i havent changed anything my end

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      The overall increase in traffic on the equipment probably plays a large part as well. If you open you stats window and then run a download you will see your snr drop by .2 or so and when the download finishes it will go back up.

The sheer act of pushing electrons through the wires causes a drop , this effect mutiplied by the extra usage at night prbably accounts a lot for it, and i'm not just talking about your use - everyones together
      The most convincing argument to me so far (ref. Mossywell) is RF interference (eg AM radio).

If it was because there are more people on line in the evening then I've noticed a strange effect. I replaced my mastersocket with a filtered one. That day every other BB user must have gone offline because my nightly noise margin drop of 7 changed to a little dip of 2.

Internal extensions act like a big aerial. Filtered faceplates are much more effective at filtering RF than dongle filters.

Why the Sky router/network is so poor at handling this is another question.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I expect it is a lot things all together - strange though some have said they didn't get this with their old isp.

Perhaps the isp can boost the signal at night or something - who knows. If they can do something with my drop it would be good as i'm on 10 around midday and this drops to about 7 in the evening. If it could stay constant and high i could safely increase the sync rate and get a few more 100ks out of my connection.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Yes it is strange - seems likely to me that it is the Sky network or router/firmware which exaggerates the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast