Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Netgear V2 DG934G Problems

This is a discussion on Netgear V2 DG934G Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Well, my parents changed ISP from BT to Sky about a month or 2 ago, but we've had problems since ...

KC100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear V2 DG934G Problems

Well, my parents changed ISP from BT to Sky about a month or 2 ago, but we've had problems since day 1 with the router.

The problems lie in the fact that the router refuses to stay connected without deciding to disconnect at any moment during the day. The 2 green lights at the top of the router stay on, but the third one will be green and then start flashing amber to show that it's disconnected.

I understand that I should post stats for my router, but I think I read somewhere that I can only provide basic stats for this type of router? Am I correct?

I'm supposed to be on a 8mb subscription, but in fact, the downstream is usually around 2800kbps while the upstream is 768kbps.

Port | Status | TxPkts | RxPkts | Collisions | Tx B/s | Rx B/s | Up Time
      WAN | PPPoA | 3463 | 3123 | 0 | 2350 | 3412 | 00:06:54
      LAN |100M/Full | 1039 | 0 | 0 | 205 | 0 | 00:08:27
      WLAN | 11M/54M | 4497 | 4196 | 0 | 3587 | 2146 | 00:08:14

I apologise for that mess^.

I'll be willing to supply any more statistics or information if need be, as I really want this fixed as I enjoy playing games online, but obviously with this connection, it's kinda hard to do so.

2. Advertisement
      Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Netgear V2 DG934G Problems

Is the router plugged straight into the master telephone socket? Is it connected via an extension cable? Can you connect wirelessly? The reason I'm asking is that it might be best to sit the Router next to the master socket, plug it in and connect wirelessly if you don't have a laptop, saves moving a bulky desktop PC.

Redman

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
      Is the router plugged straight into the master telephone socket? Is it connected via an extension cable? Can you connect wirelessly? The reason I'm asking is that it might be best to sit the Router next to the master socket, plug it in and connect wirelessly if you don't have a laptop, saves moving a bulky desktop PC.

Redman
      I was told to plug it into a microfilter that connected to the telephone socket, I assume that doesn't help? The problem is I can't find anywhere to plug the router into the master socket without leaving one of the cables without anywhere to go.
      Last edited by KC100; 16-05-08 at 02:08 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KC100 View Post
      I was told to plug it into a microfilter that connected to the telephone socket, I assume that doesn't help? The problem is I can't find anywhere to plug the router into the master socket without leaving one of the cables without anywhere to go.
      Ok m8, what you should have if you are not connecting wirelessly to the Router is a thick cable called an ethernet or RJ45 that plugs into the router and your PC's network card and a thin cable called an RJ11 that can only fit in the socket on the back of the Router normally labeled ADSL and goes to the Microfilter into the part labeled ADSL. This link of a jpeg will show you what I mean: http://www.robantnets.co.uk/rj45rj11.jpg. The Router only plugs into the master socket via the RJ11 cable, stick the microfilter into the master socket then the RJ11 cable into the part of the Microfilter labeled ADSL

Redman

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I apologise for that mess^
      What you need to post, is the information below this showing the connection speed and attenuation etc.

I don't quite follow what you mean by having nowhere to plug in the other cable. What one do you mean? As explained above, the yellow cable connects into one of the 4 ports on the router and into the network card on your PC. The grey cable goes from the ADSL port on the router to the ADSL port on the Filter. Ideally the filter should be plugged into the socket first, then any phones or extensions plugged into it. If you are forced to use a telephone extension, not advised, then plug it into the socket first then plug the filter into the other end of the extension. All sockets which are in use for any type of equipment must have a filter fitted. Have a look at this article by Kitz she explains clearly what should be done.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok m8, what you should have if you are not connecting wirelessly to the Router is a thick cable called an ethernet or RJ45 that plugs into the router and your PC's network card and a thin cable called an RJ11 that can only fit in the socket on the back of the Router normally labeled ADSL and goes to the Microfilter into the part labeled ADSL. This link of a jpeg will show you what I mean: http://www.robantnets.co.uk/rj45rj11.jpg. The Router only plugs into the master socket via the RJ11 cable, stick the microfilter into the master socket then the RJ11 cable into the part of the Microfilter labeled ADSL

Redman
      That's how I have it set up just now, I've got the ethernet cable in the router and I have it plugged into my playstation 3 as well.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how would I go about connecting the router wirelessly? Since that seems like a better option. I don't know if I mentioned already, but I'm using a laptop.

I just remembered though, I have 2 ethernet cables, one of them is the official PS3 ethernet cable, and the other is a typical pc one, do you recommend connecting both then? One in the PS3 and one in the PC?.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      What you need to post, is the information below this showing the connection speed and attenuation etc.
      Here it is:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 10 db

I don't quite follow what you mean by having nowhere to plug in the other cable.
      Ignore what I said, I misunderstood what I was being told.

I've done all that both of you have told me, but it's still disconnecting me now and again, any further suggestions?
      Last edited by KC100; 17-05-08 at 01:59 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

[QUOTE=KC100;147598]That's how I have it set up just now, I've got the ethernet cable in the router and I have it plugged into my playstation 3 as well.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how would I go about connecting the router wirelessly? Since that seems like a better option. I don't know if I mentioned already, but I'm using a laptop.

Does your laptop have wireless built in? If so you just need to press the button to activate it, my button looks like a little satellite dish. The other thing you need to check is to log into your Router, I'll assume you know how to do this and go to the wireless settings and make sure it's turned on, then you'll have to put your Network key into your laptop wireless settings for the Router to allow it access.

I just remembered though, I have 2 ethernet cables, one of them is the official PS3 ethernet cable, and the other is a typical pc one, do you recommend connecting both then? One in the PS3 and one in the PC?.

That'll be fine but I'd use the PC one to connect the Router to the master socket and keep the PS3 one going to that. Do you have the thin grey RJ11 cable connected to the Router and going to the Microfilter? Looking at your line stats your noise margin is low at 3db, I'd phone Sky and ask them to increase it to about 10db as there's a good chance this is causing the disconnections all the time.

Redman

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Don't ask Sky to increase your noise margin yet. This is done by capping your speed and as your speed is not very high at the moment, you don't want it reduced any further. You will have to have a good look at the Cable and Faceplate section of the forum to see how to improve your wiring, in particular the 'Stickies'. I don't know what age you are, but if you are very young or don't feel confident about messing about with wiring, get your parents involved, preferably by getting them to peruse the forum. They may even have friends who can help, if they can't themselves.

With your attenuation, you should be getting almost twice the speed you are, so it is well worth making the effort and going to the small expense of improving your wiring. Don't call Sky yet, as 90% of problems like this are caused by internal wiring which Sky can do nothing about, except further reduce your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Well, I'm 17, I'm not bad when it comes to these sorts of things, I'll at least take a look, and if it looks too complicated I'll get someone to help. I'll try one of the ideas to remove the faceplate from the master socket and see if that helps.
      Last edited by richone54; 27-05-08 at 06:02 PM. Reason: removed full preceeding quote

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does your laptop have wireless built in? If so you just need to press the button to activate it, my button looks like a little satellite dish. The other thing you need to check is to log into your Router, I'll assume you know how to do this and go to the wireless settings and make sure it's turned on, then you'll have to put your Network key into your laptop wireless settings for the Router to allow it access.
      Done all that but I don't really get the impression that having my connection as wireless is a very secure option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast