Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear V1 DG834GT Problems

This is a discussion on Netgear V1 DG834GT Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, i would like to ask for your help as im not very good when it comes to routers anyway ...

VoidHaze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear V1 DG834GT Problems

Hi, i would like to ask for your help as im not very good when it comes to routers anyway the problem is from two days ago my internet hasn't been working, on my router the power button is light green along with the rest of the ones that were supposed to be lit up exept that the internet icon just flashes orange then stays orange and on my internet connection it just says "local only" any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Netgear V1 DG834GT Problems

It means you aren't being assigned a WAN/Sky IP address (local only, not internet)... try reseting the router and taking the power cable out for a few minutes. If you're using any extension cables get rid of them and connect to the master socket. If it's still orange then do this:

Open internet explorer, browse to 192.168.0.1, use admin and sky as username and password, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "connection status" then click disconnect and then close window, click the Sky Test button, take a note of the error code produced then post it here for some more information.

It's most likely to be 300 if you've paid all bills and don't have any email viruses.

Just post the error code and I'll let you know what to do.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Im not sure what you mean 300 i did the tests as you told me and all it said at the end was you have completed your tests sucesfully.

twocrazymonkies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whiteabbey
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Has the internet light gone green? If so there should be an IP address beginning with 90 in the ADSL port section of the router settings page. If this is the case then is it a wireless connection you're having problems with?

Error code 300 is the most common authentication error, but if the test came back successful then you don't have to worry about that.
      "Is your router definately plugged into the master telephone socket, sir?"
      "YES! SO WHY CAN'T I DO MY WIRELESS?"
      "How far away from the router are you?"
      "I'M IN SPAIN"
      True story.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah ive done what you told me to and then ran the test but its the same and it passed the test, it still goes orange and stays orange and on some occasions it will go green.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go to your router status page and click the Statistics button. This will open a small pane showing you your connection status. The first line of figures (WAN) is your connection statistics and the figure under 'Uptime' shows the time you have been connected to the Internet. If this figure goes to 00.00.00. it means you are disconnected. Likewise the figures against LAN and WLAN indicate the stats for your Local and Wireless networks. Keep this pane running in the corner of your screen and if you loose the connection, bring it up and note which one has gone to zero. Keep an eye on the Noise margin in the bottom line, noise on the line will cause this to drop and possible, disconnect you and force the router to re-sync with the exchange.

If you are continually dropping the internet connection then you should have a look at the Cable and Faceplate section of the forum for ways to improve your internal wiring. Plugging in to the Test socket is your first move, if it continues to drop from there, it is outside anything you can do as it means your external line or router is/are faulty. If this is the case, phone Sky and ask for their help.
      Last edited by Isitme; 13-05-08 at 04:23 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah my net when off last night and i tried what you told me before, and i got Error Code 300.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Call Sky and report that you are getting Error 300, they will take you through some basic trouble-shooting to determine where your problem lies. When you call, be in front of a PC, close to your router and have it plugged into the Master socket or preferably the Test socket. Do not use a telephone extension lead or you will defeat the purpose of the tests.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.