Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Constantly disconnecting

This is a discussion on Constantly disconnecting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had problem like this. What I did was complain about the possibility of noise on the line - which ...

Jeannie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01844
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Constantly disconnecting

I had problem like this. What I did was complain about the possibility of noise on the line - which happened everytime it rained.
      BT people came out several times, tested the line outside, at the exchange box and the relevant connections inside.
      As it turned out it was 'noise on the line' and everytime this occured my connection would be intermitant.
      They came out - dug up the road, said they could do nothing because the water pipes were along side the telphone cables - the cause of the noise.
      In the end I tried a wireless router and had no problems since as the wireless automaticaly redials whenever the line is dropped and there is no noticable interruption as a result.
      Hope this helps.

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Well I've been monitoring my router fairly closely and up til this morning i had had no disconnections (about 3 and a half days), the router retrain status was at "0". Just checked again and I've gone back to a retrain status of "1" and my disconnects have jumped to 6. I'm not happy about this - it was fine when they stopped fiddling with it and now for some unknown reason they're mucking about with it again. At the very least I'd expect a call giving me an explanation

Maribo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Larkhall
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same problem ever since joining Sky in February 2008. I sent an e mail on 8th March, complaining about constantly being disconnected they did reply and told me to check all my connections. I did this and e mailed them again telling them that I thought I had a faulty router (the black one) they disagreed. I continued to e mail them and finally on 17th of March they agreed to send me a new router. They sent the white one, which has been working like a dream. When I set up my lap top in the lounge in the evening I get connected immediately with a much higher percentage of connection. I was convinced it was the router and kept telling them this, and finally they agreed, probably just to get rid of me but I'm now very happy with it, the only problem is they didn't send the feet to enable me to stand it on it's end as it does get quite hot lying flat, but other than that I'm pleased with it.

Thanks

Well I'm guessing at the moment they're trying to decide whether or not to cap my connection .... it was stable for almost 2 days at just below 3Mb, then disconnected and reconnected at 3.3 and then apparently had half a dozen disconnections in fairly quick succession (although despite being online all this time, I only noticed one).

It then disconnected and reconnected back below 3Mb. It is now up above 3Mb, but according to the detailed stats has disconnected a further 23 times this afternoon and is still enduring a "retrain".

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a router problem in my case, as I've had it over a year and have seen the problems others have had with routers out of warranty.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

the only problem is they didn't send the feet to enable me to stand it on it's end as it does get quite hot lying flat, but other than that I'm pleased with it.
      As the feet are a part of the original package, I would hazard a guess that you have received a returned/refurbished one. You should really get it standing on end as soon as possible, even if it means making DIY plastic feet. It was realised very early on that these routers suffer badly from overheating and will probably fail if this is allowed to happen. As you are happy with the router it is in your interests to keep it running. You could try contacting Sky, they may have some lying around their contractor's workshop.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Anomie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Stumpy,
      This problem of disconnects seems to be happening to quite a few people at the moment and during the last few weeks. OK I only get a couple a day but about 3 weeks ago, somewhere around the firmware upgrade, I began to get this sort of problem. Every disconnect is accompanied by 9 LOF. I'm tempted to re-install the old firmware if I can find the disk. Trouble is SkY will doubtless just re-upgrade it again in due course. For 8 months I've synced flat out and never had a reconnect and then this happens? It could be any time of day or night and has no bearing on my SNR.

Time for me to search out the old firmware disk I think? I wish SKY would simply sell new routers as, although mines still in warranty, I'm worried that they'll muck up my line rather than sending me a replacemnet.
      Graham Cutting

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possible your line has developed a fault, it does happen. If you are convinced the 'upgrade' reduced the efficiency of your router, you should phone Sky and you will possibly get a replacement. It is a waste of time putting back the old firmware as it will be auto upgraded again. One way to overcome this completely is to flash it with standard Netgear firmware, which is of course, against the T & Cs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As the feet are a part of the original package, I would hazard a guess that you have received a returned/refurbished one. You should really get it standing on end as soon as possible, even if it means making DIY plastic feet. It was realised very early on that these routers suffer badly from overheating and will probably fail if this is allowed to happen. As you are happy with the router it is in your interests to keep it running. You could try contacting Sky, they may have some lying around their contractor's workshop.

I have telephoned and e mailed, and still no joy. I've got it propped up on some pegs at the corners, so it's not too bad. I'll wait until July when the free phone calls start and phone them again

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I decided to try and e mail them once again. Got a reply saying that due to an error in their despatch department, feet were not sent out with the routers. However, that problem has now been resolved, and they are sending me a new router with feet. I will just take the feet out and send the router back, as the one I have is working perfectly well. Don't want to "rock the boat"

Thanks

Not sure if you might have to use the new router ... do they not all have their own security details in each individual router? If this is the case, they may have matched the details from the new router with your account.

If not ... keep it. If your old router goes wrong, you've then got a backup.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast