Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Constantly disconnecting

This is a discussion on Constantly disconnecting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Okay, I've checked to make sure that all extensions are dead when the master faceplate is removed (they are ... ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Constantly disconnecting

Okay, I've checked to make sure that all extensions are dead when the master faceplate is removed (they are ... nearly crippled myself in the process of checking the one upstairs ); I've reconnected the orange ringer wire and double checked that all wires in the ADSLNation master faceplate are firmly in place (and aren't touching wires of another colour, just to make doubly sure).

Other than getting another extension faceplate, that's all I can think to do, and that is going to have to wait a bit for me to order one.

I've been looking back at my stats and since replacing the faceplate, my errors seem to have gone down significantly, however, my disconnects have increased (I believe the vast majority of the errors I am getting now are because of the disconnects).

I can't see anything else that I can improve upon for the faceplate, so either the disconnects are caused by using the extension (since the new faceplate, as I wasn't getting anywhere near as many prior), the new faceplate is faulty, or there is some problem with either the line or the router.

In order to remove the extension from the equation, I am temporarily plugging the router directly into the master socket faceplate again and I will monitor it. If that makes no difference, I will plug it directly into the test socket (via a filter), although this is a last resort as it reduces my telephones down to one and means that the socket and wires are going to be exposed - with two young boys in the house, it's not a great idea!

So, if plugging into the faceplate improves things, there is obviously something wrong with the extension; if not, but plugging it into the test socket does, then there is something wrong the new faceplate.

If plugging it directly into the test socket still gives problems, there is a problem with either the router or the line ... happy days ...
      Last edited by Stumpy; 27-05-08 at 11:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Stumpy.
      As you say ,you've got to take a logical approach to this.
      (1) disconnect everthing from the filter faceplate, and install in master socket.
      (2) plug you router in there, and a phone and see what the results are like.

Thanks

Here are my stats for the last day and a half:

Total time = 1 days 13 hours 5 min 59 sec
      SF = 7854728
      CRC = 9620
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 3058
      Errors are still a bit dodgy, but to be honest, given the speed I'm getting (about double I was told was possible on my line, considering the distance from exchange), as long as they don't cause any problems, I'm not too bothered ... the main thing is that I've had no disconnects in that time.

So next job is to plug back into the extension and see if the disconnects are back. If they are, I guess there is something wrong either with the wire from the main socket to the extension, or with the extension faceplate. If they don't re-appear, then I'll have to assume Sky were buggering about with my line without telling me.

Once I have eliminated the problem of disconnects, I'll then see if I can do anything about those errors ... if I'm getting those at the master faceplate, I'll try the test socket, but it may simply be down to the speed/line length.

Thanks

Since plugging back into the extension:

Total time = 12 hours 58 sec
      SF = 2542899
      CRC = 1645
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 298
      Still some errors (but I was seeing those at the master socket anyway), but no disconnections - I'll keep it going and check for the next day or so, but I'm starting to lean towards the theory that Sky were buggering around with my line without telling me ...

Looking at past stats, there is a line in there called "Status: Showtime Retrain Reason" - On all of the stats that I have collected over the past week or so, the ones with no disconnects have had a "0" in this section. In the ones that had disconnects I have either "1" or "8000".

Can anyone explain what these mean?

Thanks

Hi Stumpy.
      well at least you are hanging in there. I would not worry too much about the errors, so long as you no longer have disconnects. Time will tell

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Still some errors (but I was seeing those at the master socket anyway), but no disconnections - I'll keep it going and check for the next day or so, but I'm starting to lean towards the theory that Sky were buggering around with my line without telling me ...
      I cannot understand why sky would mess about with your line, unless you are going through a "Regrade" which would only disconect the connection once.

I am glad that you are starting to get things sorted now though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      I cannot understand why sky would mess about with your line
      I suspect it was my fault ... I rang and complained about constant disconnections a few weeks ago, over the course of one weekend (the same weekend the OP had problems). Unfortunately the lady in the call centre that I spoke to (one of the "read off the script" people who was very difficult to understand, thought I was complaining about slow connection speeds. As I had already been trying to explain the situation for quite some time to no avail, I was happy for her to use any reason in order to get the matter escalated to the next Tier (the guys who normally know what they're doing (or at least, sound like they do)).

Not long after I put the phone down with her, I had one final disconnect, then back to normal, yet since then I have had various calls (either direct calls or "text via speech messages") from Sky saying they were looking into the speed issues.

Even after explaining, several times, that speed wasn't the reason I complained in the first place, but that it was disconnects, which seemed to have been solved, they still persisted in "monitoring the line", then "capping" at a lower level, then "uncapping", etc, etc ... I'm suspecting that their "monitoring of the line" involved or caused these newer batch of disconnects.

Serves me right for ringing them in the first place ... I should have learned by now that it's more hassle than its worth trying to get Sky Customer Services (!) involved.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

why would you get Customer Services involved in a technical matter?...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Well, whatever the department is called that you have to ring first then ...

Technical Support? Without the technical knowledge or the ability to support?

Thanks

In fairness to Sky, their customer support/tecnical help is no worse/better than most ISP's. What is important is that you get your internal set-up sorted before you involve them.
      The problem is how do you know where the problem is before you call?. Thats where a bit of research comes in. When you are selecting your ISP, give your wiring the once over and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast