Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Constantly disconnecting

This is a discussion on Constantly disconnecting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Brian69 (4) You could connect a telephone to an extension connected to A and B of the ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Constantly disconnecting

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      (4) You could connect a telephone to an extension connected to A and B of the filter, but for correct operation of the filter you should not do this.
      I have seen on the ADSLNation website that they also have filtered faceplates for extensions, with an ADSL and a telephone connection ... is this the exception to the rule that I shouldn't run a phone on that extension with the router?

I don't have that many telephone extensions ... I have the master socket which has a normal wired phone connected, I have an extension in a hard to get to place in a bedroom upstairs and I have the one in the room with the computers which has the base unit of a cordless phone attached and the router (via one of those normal dangly ADSL filters).

So I'm a bit restricted as to WHERE i can attach my phones. I know that I have to have at least one that is a proper wired phone in case of an emergency in a power failure, and the obvious place for that is the master socket, which realistically only leaves the computer room extension for cordless phone and router.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes the one on the ADSL site (I think it is XTF 68/85) could be used, as you suggest, on the router feed from A and B on the faceplate filter. It's a pity that you cannot run a dedicated line from A and B just for the router, but never mind.

Thanks

Cool. Thank you ... that's the next job then, when I have a few pennies spare.

In the meantime, what problems are caused by having the router running from an extension shared with a telephone in my case? Will it cause errors on the line or problems connecting?

Having looked at my errors, etc, it looks like simply replacing the master socket faceplate has improved it quite a bit, but I do seem to still be getting some errors, going from:

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5080725
      CRC = 13976
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 9
      ES = 1864
      to:

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5048155
      CRC = 2695
      LOS = 4
      LOF = 18
      ES = 233
      Some of those errors may still be from while I was fiddling with the router yesterday so I'll check again tomorrow and if I still get errors, will try it directly into the master socket again, and then into the test socket if necessary (although plugging it into the test socket for a 24 hr test means my phones won't be working during that time).
      Last edited by Stumpy; 24-05-08 at 06:32 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are running a phone through the ADSL side of the filter, you will almost certainly generate errors. As Brian says in (4) above, it will work, but not correctly. If you are lucky and your wiring is twisted pair, you might find that you have a couple of spare wires in your extension. In fact, if your phones ring OK without the ring wire connected then the Orange pair could be used for the phone or router circuit. You could then use the dual socket you mention above to give you a connection to both. As it stands you are going to have problems with a phone on the ADSL side of the connection.

How are you connecting the router to the socket? If you are using a filter to get an RJ11 socket to plug the router into, this is not satisfactory either, as it means the signal is running through 2 filters. Using a dial-up modem cable would be better, if you can't fit a dual socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

While not ideal, the XTF 68/85 is a double socket with a filter built in, so you can connect this to A and B at the filter and use a phone and a router. Itis a bit of an odd way to go about things, and I would be much happier to use deicated wires. but there you go.

Thanks

Oopps, I thought it was just a faceplate, not a filter. In that case it shouldn't it be connected to wires 2 & 5 and not AB, to avoid double filtering. As you say Brian, separate wires would be much more efficient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

NO NO A and B are the unfiltered outputs of the faceplate filter. It's 2 and 5 that would not work.

Thanks

I had better just give up tonight and concentrate on my Bacardi & Coke

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

LOL ... How to confuse a person in 5 easy steps ....

Thanks

O.k This is how to do it.

(1) Fit faceplate filter and connect the wires which you wish to use for the router to A and B of the filter faceplate.

(2) connect the XTF 68/85 to the other end of the same wires. You can then use this for a phone and a router.

(3) If you have any other extensions these would connect to 2, 3, 5 of the faceplate filter. If you do not have any other extensions then do not connect anything to 2 3 5

(4) thats it I hope it's now clear

You will now have
      (1) a phone and router socket at the filter faceplate.

(2) a phone and router socket at the XTF 68/85 socket

(3) If you have any other sockets, they will be phone only.

(4) althrough you have two router sockets, you can only use one router on a line
      Last edited by Brian69; 25-05-08 at 01:04 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast