Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Constantly disconnecting

This is a discussion on Constantly disconnecting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; until Sky actually crack down on the FW in use in routers connected to Sky - it's gonna happen!!...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Constantly disconnecting

until Sky actually crack down on the FW in use in routers connected to Sky - it's gonna happen!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      JohnAddisonUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hednesford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If Sky provide a working FW on par with the Netgear one I would gladly move back

Before the update my record was over 1000 hours and 14-16mb speeds, after the update I ended up with unstable POS 8-9mb connections that would disconnect way to often.

Now with the official Netgear firmware i'm back to normal I would have downgraded to the old Sky firmware but unless I can disable the auto update for good (not just until next reboot) I don't want to use it.

gryphon5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have recently been having constant disconnections too. Sky's answer is to lower my sync speed even further, but I'm already syncing below 2mbit - and something must have changed recently to have caused this.

I assume changing the FW is not an option for the Netgear V2 DG934G?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well without seeing your stats how are we to know if the problem is being caused by anything other than your line conditions?

gryphon5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the thing is, I know my line stats are at best poor and at worst very embarrasing, but the disconnecting problem is getting worse while my line stats remain the same.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 8 db

The sync has already been reduced from ~2500, but it has not improved things and over the last few days stability is getting ludicrous and dropping several times an hour. When I first joined sky I had lower noise margins and the line was more stable.

I guess I should bite the bullet and ask to have my sync speed lowered even more. There is very little point in me being on the max tarriff, but I assume one cannot downgrade due to the fact that I avoiced paying for installation being on max.

Thanks,
      Tom.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^ could you do a test from the "test" socket (see first link in my sig), if you use an extention of any kind it may be this that is the problem.

yo ucould also have a look in the cabling and faceplate forum for tips on how to improve you line

Let us know how you get on

JohnAddisonUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hednesford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon5 View Post
      I have recently been having constant disconnections too. Sky's answer is to lower my sync speed even further, but I'm already syncing below 2mbit - and something must have changed recently to have caused this.

I assume changing the FW is not an option for the Netgear V2 DG934G?

It should be possible to use the standard netgear firmware, I don't have that router to play with though.

Kidd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Netherley,Liverpool
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

I've been with Sky BB since Nov 06 and apart from a blown router haven't had any trouble. Got the new FW a few months ago, Today the BB connection went off for a couple of hours ( orange BB light ) came back on and all seemed fine then it reset itself a few hours later. Also noticed in the router status screen (DG834GT) if I select 'SKY TEST' the BB light turns orange and the connection resets until I close the window then the BB light turns green again. I don't remember this happening before!

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I think that is normal with the sky test button ... at least it happens to me as well. It should come back with an "all okay" message.

Strangely, the disconnections I had didn't seem to be related to speed at all - in that they happened mainly over one weekend while my speed was fairly poor compared to normal. The disconnections seemed to clear up by themselves and then I started getting faster speeds again.

Unfortunately, after switching it on one morning and it connecting at a relatively low speed (about 1.5 mb lower than normal) ... that was when Sky decided, about a week after complaining of low speeds, to check my line for 24 hours. And as it was stable at that lower speed, they capped it at that speed

Then I got a phone call from them stating that was what they had done. I told him that prior to that, I had been getting faster stable connections and he said that if I thought I could get a faster speed without errors, then to ring them back to change the cap level.

He couldn't explain how I would know about errors, as I can't see any errors on my end ... but he did explain that even though he was capping it at around 2.5mb, I might get faster speeds. Personally, I wasn't convinced about this .. I assumed that a cap on my speed meant that was the highest I could possibly get unless they changed the cap, and he couldn't explain it to me either - in the end we agreed to disagree and he removed the cap again ... the router immediately reconnected at 3.7Mb and its been there for over 24 hours now.

I have to say I'm not completely convinced everything is as it should be, simply due to the fact that, when the router does disconnect, I have problems accessing the router as well ... normally it would go straight into the status screen, but now it just seems to sit there, apparently loading but not getting anywhere. That strikes me as more of a router/software problem than an internet connection problem.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^^ Have a search for "Mels Notes" in the search bar at the top for link to get your detailed stats

Edit: found it here
      Last edited by richone54; 20-05-08 at 12:07 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast