Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Interference

This is a discussion on Interference within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry if this has been asked before but the search showed nothing. Ok I have the DG934 Router, Someone living ...

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Interference

Sorry if this has been asked before but the search showed nothing. Ok I have the DG934 Router, Someone living close to me is on a BT Home Hub wireless connection as I can see him/her in my wireless connections box. Trouble is that whenever they connect to thier Home Hub I lose my connection. I cannot see their MAC address so can't MAC Filter, I've changed channels, frequency from b & g to just g but no joy. I cannot move the router as it's hard wired straight to the main socket. Anything else I could try?

TIA

Redman

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Interference

I'm a little confused. You say you lose your connection when your neighbour uses their BT Home Hub, but how do you know when they are doing that? Have you checked this with them? And what exactly do you mean by being "hard wired straight to the main socket"?

When it comes to MAC filtering, it's not likely that that could solve any kind of interference problem, if that is indeed what your problem is (I'm not entirely convinced about that). And if it's one particular wireless network that is interfering with your own network, you should always be able to select a frequency that is completely clear of the neighbour's network by selecting a channel number that is at least 6 channels away from theirs, e.g., if they're using channel 1, use channel 7 or higher, or if they're using channel 9, use channel 3 or lower.

Sorry to answer your question with a whole load of other questions, but it's a bit difficult to understand what's going wrong here.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      No need to post full previous quote, if it is directly above
      I know because when my connection drops I bring up the wireless networks box and their connection is showing, whenever they disappear from the connections box my connection comes back online. How can I check with them when I don't know which neighbour it is? My brother has 5 other connections showing on his wireless connections box. Hard wired is what I call plugged in to the main socket. I've already tried the changing of channels not working I'm afraid.

Redman
      Last edited by richone54; 06-05-08 at 02:35 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah right, so whenever they switch their wireless router on, you lose your connection. It was that bit about "whenever they connect to their Home Hub" that was confusing - it made it sound like you were talking about when they switch their PC on and it establishes a connection to the Home Hub.

I'm wondering if there isn't an issue with your PC's wireless configuration. I'm no expert on Windows, but I seem to recall that you can set a particular wireless network to be preferred over others. Maybe somehow you've got your neighbour's network configured to be preferred to your own, and while their router is switched off, your PC connects to your own network, but when they switch their router on, your PC tries to connect to their network, which fails because you don't have the appropriate password.

Like I said, I'm no expert on Windows, but that might be a possible line of investigation.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

@James i think you mean this?

HI, open up your wireless panel by double clicking the wireless icon, and then..

Hope that helped..

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry m8 but it ain't that as I check there whenever the connection goes down and it's always showing as connected to Sky. In fact I've actually tried to connect to his/her network but I'm getting asked for the key

Redman
      Last edited by richone54; 06-05-08 at 06:52 PM. Reason: removed full quote as it is directly above

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It sounds like a WZC problem. This is supposed to make things easier by connecting to the strongest signal, but in your case and in most other home situations, it just causes problems.

I would advise going to Services scroll down to the bottom to WZC and double click it to open it's properties. Click the Stop button then use the drop-down box to select disable. You may then have to reinstall your adapters software to enable you to connect.

A quick way to check if this is the problem is to follow Monday's post to the third pane and uncheck the box with 'Use Windows to configure my wireless settings' This should turn it off and allow you to use the adapters software.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It sounds like a WZC problem. This is supposed to make things easier by connecting to the strongest signal, but in your case and in most other home situations, it just causes problems.

I would advise going to Services scroll down to the bottom to WZC and double click it to open it's properties. Click the Stop button then use the drop-down box to select disable. You may then have to reinstall your adapters software to enable you to connect.

A quick way to check if this is the problem is to follow Monday's post to the third pane and uncheck the box with 'Use Windows to configure my wireless settings' This should turn it off and allow you to use the adapters software.
      Ok m8 I'll give that a bash

Redman