Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Speed after replacing Netgear Router with Sagem

This is a discussion on Slow Speed after replacing Netgear Router with Sagem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys As the title suggests I recently had to replace my Netgear router with a Sagem, the netgear one ...

miffy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Speed after replacing Netgear Router with Sagem

Hi guys

As the title suggests I recently had to replace my Netgear router with a Sagem, the netgear one died after a couple of months. I've moved over from Virgin, after a lot of problems that I won't go into. I was a little shocked when my 6mb connection dropped to 2ish with Sky but since I've had this Sagem one, well since about 12pm today I only get 128k up and down.

System Up Time: 4:21:46

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 60956 63513 0 0 0 0:15:40
      LAN 13061 12395 0 0 0 4:21:46
      WLAN 60873 56228 0 0 0 4:05:25
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 24.8 db 13.0 db

Any tips or hints? It's plugged into the same socket as the netgear was i.e. it was a direct swap.

Thanks in advanced

2. Advertisement
      Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speed after replacing Netgear Router with Sagem

Your line attenuation suggests you are 4.2Km from the exchange, would that be right?

That aside, you had better speeds in the past. I'd suggest a call to Sky with the facts - faster speed with Netgear, cr*ppy speeds with the Sagem. Get them to make some adjustments to get that speed up, at least back to what the Netgear was supporting!
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep I'm just over 2miles away if I remember rightly. I've read about line training, seeing as my line hasn't changed, just the router I doubt this would apply to me, is that correct?

I'm dreading ringing Sky I would like not to get fobbed off with a statement like that. When my router went down I was intially down there was a problem at the exchange which I think is very unlikely when i called back the next day the engineer had to order me a new router. heh.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The 128 problem sounds like your capped down to test speeds. Give them a ring, try and call early afternoon, 1-3 as it seems to be a little quieter around then. Then they should be able to uncap you

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line has been set to test speed for some reason. It suggests that there very well could have been an exchange/line problem. I take it you still have your old router, if so plug it in and see what you sync at. There is a good chance there is nothing wrong with it. Sky's first response to a many problems is sending out a new router, when there is absolutely no need to do so.

If the speed remains the same, phone Sky and report a slow speed connection. When you phone, make sure you are plugged into the Master or Test socket, or be prepared to tell Sky that you are. They invariably ask you to do this and it sometimes means breaking the connection, calling back and going through it all again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortantly the router is completely dead, all it would do was flash between the tick and power switch, even if the only thing plugged into it was the power. It wouldn't give out DHCP addresses or even show any activity on the Lan Ports.

Thanks

It looks like it is stuck in 'flash' mode. Did it fail when updating the firmware? There are lots of threads on this in the forum if you want to rescue it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well this is something that I've tried to identify. I came home from work and found it doing that so I left it for a while I think about 15-20 minutes and then turned it off and it still did it, tried resetting it, all the basics and it still did it. I'll search the forum though, I didn't even know anything about auto firmware updates until I searched for the symptons when online the next day.

Thanks

This is the main thread for flashing the router, but there are other tips and fixes scattered through the forum.
      Ive done it! Flashed router and got my sky password!

TomD

Useful Utilites