Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Rebooting Router!

This is a discussion on Rebooting Router! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've seen a similar post to this so apologies for that however i wanted to highlight this issue as best ...

Welsho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoke
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Rebooting Router!

I've seen a similar post to this so apologies for that however i wanted to highlight this issue as best possible - hence a new thread.

Over the weekend my router began rebooting itself constantly, there was no connection possible as the third light in from the left would remain amber, it would then power itself off, back on and begin rebooting again.
      I unplugged it and left it for a night, on Sunday i plugged it back in and it worked for a few hours, eventually it began rebooting itself again, so i called Sky and they agreed to send me out a new one (after first plugging it into a different power socket - as if that would be the problem?!?)

Two days later i had a shiny new router (fair play on the timescales) and last night it worked almost perfectly, i say almost as it too rebooted itself once or twice. I didn't think this would be a problem as they say that in the first few days it may lose the connection sporadically.

Get home tonight (no missus to contend with for once too!) and low and behold it's constantly rebooting itself again - slightly different to the last time however as this time the third light in from the left does go green and you do get a connection for a couple of minutes.

As i write this it's been connected perhaps for a couple of hours, though earlier it would not remain connected for one minute, upon trying to call Sky BB i got disconnected from my call twice (my phone line incidentally is with SkyTalk and am suffering a 'crackly line') and then i was on hold for 10 minutes - "I am Jack's rampaging anger" (sorry, couldn't resist, if you haven't seen Fight Club then please ignore me....).

HELP (if possible)

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Rebooting Router!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsho View Post
      as the third light in from the left would remain amber
      There's a clue there - sounds to me like you don't have your router upright mounted on its feet to get an adequate air circulation. i.e. you have "cooked" the router. Putting the router flat, particularly on a carpet is a fairly reliable way to kill it. Sounds like you may have killed two.

If that's not the problem then you may have a wiring/exchange equipment fault.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you have noise on the line that will not be helping anything, best thing to do is make sure the router is plugged into the main tel socket via a filter, use the test socket if possible and see if it keeps happening. If it does then you need the crackling looked into as much as you need to ADSL dropouts looking at as they are probably linked.

Welsho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoke
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      There's a clue there - sounds to me like you don't have your router upright mounted on its feet to get an adequate air circulation. i.e. you have "cooked" the router. Putting the router flat, particularly on a carpet is a fairly reliable way to kill it. Sounds like you may have killed two.

If that's not the problem then you may have a wiring/exchange equipment fault.
      I DO HAVE IT LAY DOWN FLAT BUT THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AN OPTION FOR IT TO BE STOOD UP, THERE IS NO PLATFORM FOR IT TO BE STOOD UP?!?

Also - this was happening just one day after i receieved the new one, surely it wouldn't overheat so quickly, perhaps there is a problem with the line - where would the 'test socket' be located?

Thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

On the main telephone socket, some of the newer sockets have a physical split in the plate running from left to right just above the 2 screws. Undo the 2 screws and the bottom of the socket plate drops away (unplug everything from the socket first) and the test socket is normally on the bottom right corner of the back plate.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welsho View Post
      I DO HAVE IT LAY DOWN FLAT BUT THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AN OPTION FOR IT TO BE STOOD UP, THERE IS NO PLATFORM FOR IT TO BE STOOD UP?!?
      Then you probably had been wondering what those two strangely-shaped bits of white plastic were that came with your first router! They clip onto the corners of the router so you can put it in an upright position.

pavilion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDFOL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a line problem when i first got sky phone and bb. I rang them and did all the usual siggestions. They then agreed to send me a different router. When i was using the black router that looks like a digibox the crackle was there, when i plugged in the white and silver netgear one then sent me, the crackle had gone!