Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Migrating from white Netgear to black one

This is a discussion on Migrating from white Netgear to black one within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've had my white Netgear Sky router for about 18 months now, and had no trouble with it until about ...

donelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Migrating from white Netgear to black one

I've had my white Netgear Sky router for about 18 months now, and had no trouble with it until about ten days ago. Now it crashes around once a day, and I have to power down/up the router (I cannot log into 192.168.0.1 etc)

Last night it crashed again, I waded my way painfully through the first-tier tech support at Sky, then spoke to a nice chap who ran some tests, had me reboot a couple of times, and said they would now send me a new black router.

1) What's the experience with these?

2) If I save my config file from my white router, can I load that into the black one when it arrives? Or do I have to set up access lists, wireless, security etc all by hand again?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      PETEBEZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ASHTON / MRASH
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Migrating from white Netgear to black one

Hi, I had the same problem only more so, dropped connection four or five times per day.Phoned sky after about 2 hours finally got them to send me the black router (sagem), they said it would take about 10 to 12 days to arrive, it came in 4. Had no problems so far, been up about a week, same speeds no dropped connection, running sweet so far. do not know about config file never done it, i did mine by hand then i know it`s done properly.
      good luck with it

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

1) What's the experience with these?

2) If I save my config file from my white router, can I load that into the black one when it arrives? Or do I have to set up access lists, wireless, security etc all by hand again?
      1) The V2 Routers, are normally (or in my particular case) solid

2) I don't think so, although you would be able to copy and paste from the .cfg file to the GUI on the V2

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do the new routers do automatic SRA re-training throughout the day to maximize throughput?

With the white original one, I had to reboot around 9-10pm during noisy-line times, to get enough noise margin for it to work reliably.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky don't use SRA - if you have it enabled keep quiet, they will hunt it down.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If SRA is not enabled, then the router will drop lines and have terrible throughput if it's been trained during the day...

I typically see 11 Mbps best rate (7 dB noise margin) during the morning and early afternoon. By 9-10pm at night, I only see around 8.8 Mpbps at the same 7 dB noise margin.

You have to restart the modem between 9-10pm or so, and then NOT reboot during the day, otherwise, the modem will start sucking rocks later.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That might be the case with the old DG834GT firmware, but it shouldn't be like that with either the new dark grey routers, or a DG834GT with the updated firmware. Typically, if you leave an ADSL router on 24 hours a day, it'll eventually settle down once it's found a SNR profile that works throughout a 24 hours day. Even then, a few retrains will continue to occur every few days, but it shouldn't be too noticeable, and apart from when the link is actually down, it shouldn't impact on throughput.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My new dark-gray Sagem router has arrived...

Questions:

1. It does not have an antenna sticking out. How do I know what orientation the internal antenna is in?

2. There are four ethernet ports on the back of the router (Yellow, Yellow, Blue & Green). I have a Mac and a PC which I want to Ethernet connect to the modem: Which ports do I plug those machines into?

3. It says use the Yellow cable provided from the Yellow router port to the PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Yellow ethernet cable a "crossover" cable ?

Thanks
      William
      Last edited by donelson; 18-04-08 at 11:25 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

According to reports the aerial is in the bottom of the unit, so it is better stood up on the legs supplied, with the bottom facing the direction of the receiver. But you must experiment to find the best orientation.

You can use any port, they are all equal, ignore the colours.

Ethernet cables can be almost any colour, Sky supply a yellow one to make it easier for their technical support to give instructions. Cross over cables can also be any colour, most are grey. Large organization use different colours for x-over and straight so the they are easily identified, but there is no rule that says they have to be a specific colour.You don't have to use this cable, in fact you will probably need a much longer one, depending on where your machines are located.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks. I found the best reception to my son's downstairs Wii box was with the old Netgear antenna flat on the floor of my upstairs office, with the antenna broadside to the Wii itself...

I think I will open up the Sagem to check and report back here, for those of you who are "obsessive" like me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast