Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are Sky scoring an own goal?

This is a discussion on Are Sky scoring an own goal? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; homeplug adapters are generally slower than wireless, just more reliable. 54mbit is by far enough speed to stream hd, but ...

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Are Sky scoring an own goal?

homeplug adapters are generally slower than wireless, just more reliable.

54mbit is by far enough speed to stream hd, but im sure you arent interference free, and thats the problem.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thing is how many wireless cards are in computers that can support this?

All my networking stuff at here is all still g (with the exectption of the Xbox that can do a) and so why supply the newest routers when most people need b and g.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Surely if you want wireless N networking, you could just buy a wireless N access point, disable the wireless networking on the router and just plug the AP into the Sky router.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

homeplug adapters are generally slower than wireless, just more reliable
      I don't think so! 54mbps is a theoretical maximum, you will be lucky to get half that speed. Ethernet on the other hand, which homplug is, works very close to it's maximum speed. Most available, work at 85 mbps and you will get a high proportion of that. Even Draft N, at 248mbps cannot compete for speed. There is a useful chart showing though put/maximum speeds in This Wiki

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Surely if you want wireless N networking, you could just buy a wireless N access point, disable the wireless networking on the router and just plug the AP into the Sky router.
      Thats pretty much what I've done with all my kit here - it was previously on Virgin Media cable via an Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) which is now quite happily plugged into a LAN port on the Sky Netgear delivering unsullied 802.11n to those devices that need it.

For anything going out to the Internet the 802.11g is quite capable enough.

Wireless is a convenience but also a compromise. I would always advocate dropping in a cable if it is at all possible - always a good idea when putting down new carpeting, use the opportunity to run a few cables under the floor.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think so! 54mbps is a theoretical maximum, you will be lucky to get half that speed. Ethernet on the other hand, which homplug is, works very close to it's maximum speed. Most available, work at 85 mbps and you will get a high proportion of that. Even Draft N, at 248mbps cannot compete for speed. There is a useful chart showing though put/maximum speeds in This Wiki
      Agreed! I was just about to say much the same thing.

I'm using Devolo AV kit which can go up to 200mbps (I suppose you would need a Gigabit Ethernet LAN to see that top speed though). It's certainly hugely faster than wireless when I rip a show from my TiVo to my MacBook or transfer files over the network between computers.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I would agree with most of what has been said about HomePlug - I think it has huge potential for the future - the only downside I see for it is portability e.g. I often sit with my Notebook on my lap (had my kids so not bothered what gets fried ) Having an Ethernet cable strung across the floor isn't a good solution whereas wireless is - apart from that then can't see any drawbacks.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^
      Although a bit more expensive, it is possible to get Homeplug with wireless. You can see a selection of these HERE They are especially useful in large old houses with thick walls where you want to use a wifi laptop but the signal from the router is lost.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12