Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DG934G Router Noise Margin

This is a discussion on DG934G Router Noise Margin within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by bdowson I started with Sky broadband one week ago. On replacing my previous Ozenda router I immediately ...

bdowson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01778
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: DG934G Router Noise Margin

Quote Originally Posted by bdowson View Post
      I started with Sky broadband one week ago. On replacing my previous Ozenda router I immediately noticed crackling noise in my telephones (I kept everything else the same, including Speedtouch filters). I have used my new Sky DG934G router and the previous Netgear DG834GT (loaned) and the result is the same. I have moved routers, disconnected phones, changed filters etc etc. The culprit is always the same: turn off the router and everything is OK. I only managed to reduce most of the noise by using one particular filter I had in my cupboard from 2 or 3 years ago (don't know the brand). The Sky filters were appalling. I am waiting for comments from Sky broadband customer service.
      As a follow up, this is what I got back from Sky:

Please try the following steps :-
      1. Change the microfilter the Sky Broadband Box is connected to.
      2. Remove any telephone extension cables.
      3. Plug your microfilter into the master socket. Your master socket is the point where your phone line enters your house. It is normally near a front or back door or in a hall way.
      4. Remove any devices that are connected to the phone line e.g. fax machines, digiboxes, cordless phones etc.
      5. Connect the Sky Broadband Box to your computer via the yellow Ethernet cable if possible .
      6. If you still cannot connect, check whether you have a horizontal line across the centre of your master socket face plate. If you do, then unscrew the two small screws on the front and remove the face plate
      Connect a microfilter to the test socket located on the left hand side behind the section you removed.
      Connect the broadband box into the microfilter via the grey telephone cable .
      If this resolves the issue then you are likely to have a faulty master socket and you should contact BT for further help.

Just think - two weeks ago I didn't have any problems before joining Sky.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Connect a microfilter to the test socket located on the left hand side behind the section you removed.
      Connect the broadband box into the microfilter via the grey telephone cable .
      If this resolves the issue then you are likely to have a faulty master socket and you should contact BT for further help.
      This shocking advice to give, it is more likely to be faulty internal wiring, which BT will charge you a fortune to fix.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdowson View Post
      I started with Sky broadband one week ago. On replacing my previous Ozenda router I immediately noticed crackling noise in my telephones (I kept everything else the same, including Speedtouch filters). I have used my new Sky DG934G router and the previous Netgear DG834GT (loaned) and the result is the same. I have moved routers, disconnected phones, changed filters etc etc. The culprit is always the same: turn off the router and everything is OK. I only managed to reduce most of the noise by using one particular filter I had in my cupboard from 2 or 3 years ago (don't know the brand). The Sky filters were appalling. I am waiting for comments from Sky broadband customer service.
      Well, without implementing any of the Sky Customer Service advice (see earlier), I found that one particular telephone was causing the crackle on the line i.e. to remove the crackle I either had to remove this particular phone, or switch off the Sky router- I couldn't use both. This phone never caused any problems before I installed the Sky router and it's just an ordinary REN 1 phone. It's a mystery.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Yes, if you had called in BT you would have had a bill for 192+VAT or something like that, I doubt if Sky would have reimbursed you for giving dodgy advice.

Is the phone in question a cordless? If so turn off the wireless access in the router, see if it makes any difference. If it does, can you change the channel on the phone, if not turn off the wireless on the router if you don't use it. If it is a corded phone it may just be a loose connection inside the handset.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is the phone in question a cordless? If so turn off the wireless access in the router, see if it makes any difference. If it does, can you change the channel on the phone, if not turn off the wireless on the router if you don't use it. If it is a corded phone it may just be a loose connection inside the handset.

No, it's just an ordinary phone - a Mybelle mock old fashioned phone with a dialing ring on the front (push buttons now). Perfectly nice phone and no background noise on it at all under normal circumstances.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12