Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maximum number of possible connections

This is a discussion on Maximum number of possible connections within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Two questions really - I've contacted Sky about this and I still can't believe it. Sky says that you can ...

tnet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maximum number of possible connections

Two questions really - I've contacted Sky about this and I still can't believe it. Sky says that you can connect (this figure includes wireless) upto four computers to their WiFi router. Naturally, I smelt a rat and called Sky again to check if this applied to just ethernet ports, seeing as there are four of them - but no, I was wrong! Has anyone been able to connect more than four PCs to the new router without any trouble, and without using an ethernet-connected/seperate router?

You're probably thinking that I am daft - "why can't he just listen to Sky?!", I hear you say. The fact is, i've been given this information from Orange before - you get an Orange Livebox and the website says that you can connect a maximum of 6 PCs to it. Rubbish! You can, in fact, connect 32 wirelessly, but they list 6 PCs as otherwise they get customers pouring in saying that their internet speed is degrading (in a scenario where more than 6 PCs are connected for casual web browsing, for example).

Second, and I know this question is irrelevant, but how do you quit a contract with Sky early and what are the fees incurred? What i'm getting from Sky is you simply pay the remaining months of service early to switch....but i'm not so sure seeing as this is from the same agent that initially told me about the router connection limit.

Please respond to my calls for help!

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Maximum number of possible connections

254 connections based on the router's IP, although you'd not have much bandwidth left to make it much use as a network.
      Believe Sky, you'd pay the remainder of the amount due for each full month or part thereof - or whatever the wording is - left on your contract.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, so you're saying that I'd have up to 254 connections - fair enough, on the practical side if I was getting the full 16Mbps on the max package I could squeeze on 10 for casual internet browsing. That's fine, providing that applies to the new black routers.

This may be slightly more off-topic, but have people as a whole had a good experience with the router, and, more importantly, the Sky Broadband service in general?

Finally, are there any plans for Sky to go for ADSL2+ (24Mbps) any time in the future?

Koala5 is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnet View Post
      Finally, are there any plans for Sky to go for ADSL2+ (24Mbps) any time in the future?
      Doultful theres not many people who even get 16mb due to there distance from the exchange. You would need to live almost right next door to the exchange to get 24mb and connections would become alot more unstable at that speed which is probably why Sky limit it to 16mb.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Woah there, when I say 24Mbps I mean including the upto clause. I'm on Be Broadband at the moment and I get a 4Mbps increase over the speed I get on standard ADSL, so I now get an average of 10Mbps.

Repeating my second point - this may be slightly more off-topic, but have people as a whole had a good experience with the router, and, more importantly, the Sky Broadband service in general?

Exchange:
      Thanks

After distance, it's down to the condition of your line and any internal wiring. If I connect to the master socket downstairs I pull in around 15Mbps - yes I do, read it and weep - but up here, where the main machine resides, it's a steady and unfluctuating 3.9. Cable buried in walls, new plaster, unremitting refusals, from the one who says so, to allow a new cable run on the outside of the new wall surfaces means that's how it's going to stay. For now. But it works perfectly and is still about a full 1Mbps quicker than my former ISP.
      This being generally a help and support, user driven forum, the overall impression you'll get is that, no, a lot of people aren't having a good Sky experience when it comes to broadband. But, it's the nature of the beast, I've looked and never found any "Things are going swimmingly, let's all sing the praises of our ISP" forums. There's some 2000 odd members on here of which only a small portion are anything like regulars. Sky has over a million customers. Seems fair to say then that there's an awful lot of happy router users experiencing decent broadband out there somewhere - oh, and you can count me among them
      Last edited by greyrider; 01-04-08 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spullning

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      . There's some 2000 odd members on here

should that not be 20,000

Exchange:
      Thanks

Look, I can't spell to save my life, don't tell them I'm useless with numbers too!
      Yes, profuse apologies to the Sky forum, it's 20,000 and still growing.
      Last edited by greyrider; 01-04-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Spellning! Grrrr!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am aware of internal wiring issues with ADSL services and the other normal pitfalls. I've been on six different ones since I first got broadband!

I do understand that their userbase must have been built on the basis that people liked their product, but you've also got to understand that Sky undercuts the majority if not all broadband packages on the market today with their offers, and so some people may be willing to pay less for a slightly lower quality of service.

I know I sound ridiculously negative here, but can anyone who has had a negative issue with Sky post the details of it here, so that I can mentally gauge the quality of service?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

there is a whole forum with bad experiences...its the feedback forum, why not take a look

tbh, from the sounds of it you wanna run quite a large network for very little outlay - you seem like the kinda person trying to get something for nothing. by all means use Sky, but for 10-odd PCs connecting to a (theoretical) 16Mbps is gonna end in tears...just dont' expect any sympathy from Sky...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast