Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!!

This is a discussion on Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Guys, I've just tried to log onto the web to find my wireless card can't even find my Sky router. ...

ezwookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!!

Guys,

I've just tried to log onto the web to find my wireless card can't even find my Sky router.

Thinking it just needs a reboot, i've done the usual and turned the router off at the mains and switched it back on after about 30 secs or so (this usually works fine) - but this time, to my shock, only the 4 'ethernet' numbers are lighting up, everything else, including the power light and wireless indicator is completely switched off!!

I've turned it on and off a number of times, but the same happens - only the 4 numbers light up, go out, and then nothing else happens!!!

Is my router dead!!!?? - please tell me its ok and i just need to try something else!! :-(

I think my warranty is over too, so this is a bad situation for me!
      Anyone! Please help!!

Thanks in advance.
      Wooks

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!!

Try a factory reset. Insert a paperclip end or similar into the reset hole for around 10 seconds until (hopefully) the test LED illuminates.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice one Eyemdee - i'll give it a try!

Cheers!

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If that does not work it does not matter if your router is out of warrenty just give them a call and they will replace it for you as they can replace out of warrenty routers now just tell them that the power light will not come on and they will replace it straight away after checking that it is plugged in at the plug socket.
      ******Thats a good thing to check before you call them that the socket is working and that it plugged in properly*****

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys for your advice.

Jonny1310 - i tried the factory reset but it didn't work i'm afraid, however, i did like you suggested and rang Sky - as you mentioned, they have told me that although the warranty is over, they will still send me another router - the only snag is, it could take upto 13 days.

Now, the other problem is, after reading a few of the comments on this forum, some other people have said the same thing, that Sky have confirmed they too will be getting a replacement router, however, after a number of weeks, many have still not received anything! - i'm a bit worried that this could be ploy by Sky to get people of their backs for a while!!

....ah well,i guess i'll have to wait the couple of weeks to see if i do actually get anything.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers guys!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Its not a ploy, out of warranty replacements have to be raised manually as the sytem in use does not allow it to happen automatically once the router is past 12 months. Details are collected and given to the TL, the TL then passes those details to a specified person each day. Obviously at any point in this chain a problem can occur and things can go wrong. 9 times out of 10 the router gets ordered no problem, 1 time in 10 things go wrong and have to be chased up.
      If you are really worried, give it a couple of days and ring back to talk to order status, they can normally tell if a router is on its way.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezwookie View Post
      ... they will still send me another router - the only snag is, it could take upto 13 days.
      Sky are charging you 10 per month for a service with T & C's that demand you use their provided router. If it takes 13 days to replace that router when it fails then a credit for 13/30th's of 10 should surely be in order.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If Sky are going to drag their feet on this then the main thing to do is to get your username and password out of the new router when you get it. It is against Sky's T&C's, but you could at least use any router should this happen again. It comes down to this, if you don't like the way Sky operate then you can always leave. I know that it's a poor way to treat a customer but there you go.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Its not a ploy, out of warranty replacements have to be raised manually as the sytem in use does not allow it to happen automatically once the router is past 12 months. Details are collected and given to the TL, the TL then passes those details to a specified person each day. Obviously at any point in this chain a problem can occur and things can go wrong. 9 times out of 10 the router gets ordered no problem, 1 time in 10 things go wrong and have to be chased up.
      If you are really worried, give it a couple of days and ring back to talk to order status, they can normally tell if a router is on its way.
      BTW it does not have to be passed to a tl anymore you can replace them through chordiant so what are you talking about and they should not tell the customer that it is going to take 13 days as that is a lie i have replaced a good few out of warrenty routers.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Guys!

I just wanted to say thanks very much for your posts, comments and advice.

Let me just explain the reason for not replying sooner, as i've been without Broadband, i've had to run to my bro's everytime i've wanted to log on - not ideal, you see, hence the reason for only 2-3 replies on here.

However, here's the quick update i mentioned.

PaulSky, you were spot on (i guess my scepticism was a bit premature after all! :-) - the replacement router arrived this morning (it is however the Sagem model and not the new Netgear - does anyone know if this is a decent router, as i have no experience of it) - anyway, i'm all hooked up and back online (as you can see) :-)

Took 5 days from calling on Saturday, so well within the 13 days Sky had initially suggested - i'm both happy and to be honest surprised that it went so smoothly.

The router seems to be working fine, no dropped connections......fingers crossed!

I've been told to make sure to get the username and password from this router, but i'm not entirely sure what this means, i have the SSID and Net Key, and i also have a username and password from my original sign-up paperwork - is this all i need!

Anyway - basically just wanted to say cheers to everyone, you guys helped out a lot.

T.
      Wooks :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast