Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!!

This is a discussion on Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Glad to see you back . The sagem is a V2 and not a bad router at all. Just get ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Argh!! Is my router dead!! Please help!!

Glad to see you back. The sagem is a V2 and not a bad router at all. Just get you user name and password for insurance and you're covered.

2. Advertisement
      ezwookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

.....oops! sorry, i forgot to ask, with my old Netgear router, i was able to check the stats (ie speeds, channel setup etc) using the login details provided on this forum (admin, sky), does anyone know if there are similar login details for this Sagem router (i'll post a new thread if need be).

Cheers again.
      W

ezwookie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Brian69 - probably a stupid question (i'm full of them :-), but how do i actually get the username and password from the router?? - is this what you mean?

Ta

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ezwookie View Post
      the replacement router arrived this morning (it is however the Sagem model and not the new Netgear - does anyone know if this is a decent router, as i have no experience of it)
      The Sagem router is as new as the new Netgear router. From what I can tell, they are as reliable as each other, and the user interface (the router's configuration pages on http://192.168.0.1/) is almost exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ezwookie View Post
      I've been told to make sure to get the username and password from this router, but i'm not entirely sure what this means
      I suspect (assuming it wasn't someone from Sky who told you this) that they mean the ADSL username and password. For a router to connect to Sky (or indeed any broadband service) it needs to provide a username and a password. With Sky routers, this information is, in effect, pre-programmed into the router. If your router dies, however, you won't be able to use a non-Sky router to get Internet access, because Sky don't tell you what the ADSL username and password are. So you end up with no broadband until the new Sky router arrives.

There are ways around this, and quite a few people have managed, one way or another, to find out their ADSL username and password, so that if their Sky router dies, they can use a spare, non-Sky router to get back on the Net.

But you don't actually need to get that information, as such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12