Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another connection loss thread!!!

This is a discussion on Yet another connection loss thread!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey! Ive only been a Sky broadband customer for about 2 weeks now but am experiencing connection loss on a ...

Matt_S is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yet another connection loss thread!!!

Hey!

Ive only been a Sky broadband customer for about 2 weeks now but am experiencing connection loss on a daily basis. It only seems to happen in the evenings for some reason...although i am at work during the day so have no idea if it drops out while im out. Basically the internet light flashes orange for a few seconds and i lose internet connection for about 30 seconds. After this short amount of time the light turns green again and im back on!!! It happens a couple of times every evening. Very annoying if im in the middle of a game of Halo!!!!

Like i said i only lose connection for 30 seconds so its not a major issue. But i know it shouldnt be doing it so its annoying all the same!!

Any help would be great

Matt

2. Advertisement
      thorn23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Yet another connection loss thread!!!

We have been experiencing the connection dropping anything up to ten/fifteen times a day, every day for MONTHS and were beginning to despair as it spoils online games(Have to admit it's Toontown but we LOVE IT). Anyway i sent a strongly worded email complaining about it to their help desk and got an email back enumerating umpteen possible causes none of which, obviously, were to do with their router(Netgear). Our friendly computerman spent two hours trying to sort it out only to find he could not connect another router for us to use- to see if it really was the line and not the box-and,bless him,didn't charge a penny !
      I sent them another email,even more strongly worded to say we had tried all their suggestions and none had worked and that we were seriously considering moving to another ISP- we never had any of this garbage with AOL-and HEY PRESTO we get an email back the very next day telling us they had discovered our line could only take just over 3Mb and as they had been pushing 4 there were too many errors building up so they had reduced the speed to 3072Kbs and to keep an eye on things to see if it sorts.
      Last night i installed the Mossywell app. and it tells me that for the past 6 hours its been a constant 3072 and the line hasn't dropped at all. I can be happy with a constant 3072Kbs if its on all the time, recently the download speed have been as low as 37Kbs.
      I'm so glad to have discovered Sky user and am reassured that i'm NOT the only person having this sort of aggravation and very reassured to know that there are folk out there who know how to get things sorted. All power to you guys thanx

Thorn 23

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Matt_S - could you post your router stats

thorn23 - did you try all that sky suggested (mostly the one about the connecting to the test socket)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 10489 12605 0 201 1259 01:58:48
      LAN 100M/Full 3239 0 0 63 0 04:08:36
      WLAN 11M/54M 47123 38751 0 2779 470 04:08:23
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4832 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35 db 9 db
      Noise Margin 1 db 14 db

Is that what you were after? If theres anything else just let me know!

Thanks

^^ Yep, thats them.
      with your attenuation you should be connectiong much higher, my first thoughts would be an internal wiring problem (have a gander in the cabling and faceplate forum for quite a few similar problems)
      i would think you are using an extention socket to plug the router in ? could you do a comparison set of stats from the "test" socket (see first link in my sig)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the reply.

Basically i have 2 Sky boxes, 1 telephone and my Sky router plugged into a single telephone point. Its a bit of a mess as ive got my telephone plugged into a splitter, which is plugged into ANOTHER splitter and then into the microfilter which my router is plugged into.

Also i was getting around 6000kbps the other day.

I have only recently moved into this flat and i cant seem to find the master socket. Its getting late now so i will have a good hunt tomorrow and post my findings.

Cheers!!!

Thanks

does sound like a bit of a mess you should have filter first, then telephone items (sky box/telephone) plugged into one side and router plugged into the other
      let us know how you get on tomorrow

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right....for the life of me i cant seem to find the master socket. Im in a 1 bedroom, first floor flat and i can only find 3 sockets. 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom. None of these seem to be the master one.

Grrrr

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Take the faceplates off the boxes and have a look inside. The Master is the one with the ring capacitor and surge arrestor. The extensions will be fairly plain inside. The Master will also have 2 terminals marked A and B, the others will not. While you are in the boxes, remove the wires from terminal 3. This is the ring circuit and is not required when you use filters. It can have a bad effect on ADSL.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, thanks for the advice.

I will have a look shortly and re-post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast