Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yet another connection loss thread!!!

This is a discussion on Yet another connection loss thread!!! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, i removed the faceplates on the 3 sockets ive found in the flat and none seem to be the ...

Matt_S is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Yet another connection loss thread!!!

OK, i removed the faceplates on the 3 sockets ive found in the flat and none seem to be the master socket.

The one in the bedroom sits on a wall with the loft the other side, i went into the loft and there were 2 cables going into the socket. When i removed the faceplate the cables were tied off. I tried to trace where the 2 cables were coming from but they go down and out of sight.

The one in the kitchen is wired up and already had the wire removed from terminal 3.

The only other socket is in the lounge. This is the only socket i was using and has the router plugged into it. I removed the faceplate and terminals 2, 3 and 5 all had wires in them. I have now removed the one in terminal 3 so only 2 and 5 remain.

The whole master socket thing is a bit of a mystery!!!

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

well there is a master there somewhere, unless they all are.!!.
      Have another look and you should see a yellow cylinder shaped thing across the top of the master socket back. If you find they all have, then you will have to find out where the line comes in.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at This it may give you a better idea of what to look for.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Wagsie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Strood , Kent
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My Internet was dropping off like mad for the last 3 to 4 weeks , I really didn't want to ring sky up because I like the speed I'm getting and didn't want to be capped and plus the last time I had problems I was told to restart my PC to see if that helped , to which I replied bye !

Anyways around the forth week the telephone line itself went wrong ( sounded like someone was using sand paper down the line ) so I rang BT and they said nothing was wrong with the line but they would send someone out , well a few days later a guy turned up , had a listen and said yep , It's knackered , well in the end he found a fault outside up the pole where the two lines meet the wire that comes into my house , he said it was corroded , well he changed it and since then Ive had no connection problems at all ,
      My Stats
      Connection Speed 14630 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 16.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 13.0 db

I'm not saying this is a factor with you , but before this happened the line was noise free to my ear but it was still dropping off

Good luck and I hope you end up getting it sorted

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just thought i would post an update...

I still for the life of me cannot find the master socket. I have searched every room in my flat and taken off the front panels of any phone socket i come across!!!!

My connection issues still persist so today i phoned up Sky technical support. They told me to change the micro filter (great) and also checked my line and told me it can only handle 512kps!!! I currently connect at around 6mb and they said my issues could be because the lines are overloaded. They said to call BT and get the lines replaced (that would cost an arm and a leg).

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If your DSL avail is that low on the system then it may be that you need to be capped a bit, the DSL avail speed normally errs on the side of caution but its not normally 5Mb out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wonder if BT would be amiable to checking if you have a Master socket. As Brian said earlier, you must have one. I am wondering if line installers name was John Wayne or Roy Rodgers whose van was called Trigger.

Seriously, it may be worth contacting BT, tell them you want to fit an extension and can't find the master socket. With your attenuation you should be doing much better, but you wont, until you get your wiring sorted out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for your replies.

Ill get in touch with BT and see what they have to say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12