Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Router unable to log in and turn on wireless

This is a discussion on Sky Router unable to log in and turn on wireless within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; No if you can get to the router logon page that means that there is no security issue their that ...

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Router unable to log in and turn on wireless

No if you can get to the router logon page that means that there is no security issue their that is stopping you from accessing the router setiings page.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

If the V2 router is like the V1 then you have to hold the reset button in for 10 seconds or so to set it back to its default state. A quick press only results in a reboot.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1310 View Post
      No if you can get to the router logon page that means that there is no security issue their that is stopping you from accessing the router setiings page.
      Yep agree, but i still stand by my comment. Prove the negative.

The guys at sky will force you down that route regardless. PC's are supposed to be logical and therefore your comment is correct, but have you ever had software that one minutes works and the next does something odd?

As I say Best Practice is to prove that it's not a laptop problem no matter how much you know it isn't.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I work for sky and they will not force you down that route if you tell them that you can get on the internet and you can get to the logon page they will tell you to do a master reset and then if that does not work they will replace the router.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

okay okay 'calm down, it's only a suggestion'

I will still insist that best practice is to prove what you know, just to be sure. Debugging is all about proving what works and what doesn't. If nothing ahs changed then why doesn't it work..... and that's because somethinhg has changed so you need to pick thru and find out what that is to drive you to the route cause. In this instance you spend 2 minutes (yes just 2 minutes) checking taht you get teh same problem using exactly the same set up when it last worked (ie using the desktop).

I agree that 99.9% certain it is nothing to do with the laptop, but i'm trying to instill best practice for fault finding here so that if another problem happens in the future you go down the proper route of fault finding (ie recreate the exact same circumstances when it last worked).

I spent ages on the phone to my mate when he was after help cos his speakers weren't working..... after the 4th time of asking he finally checked that his speakers were plugged in..... and nope they weren't.

We can't see the users pc and what they did in the past (whether they have flashed or not etc). They may not remember it but maybe they changed the default login and password..... if they use the Desktop, then they may have ticked the box to save those details and be able to get back in.

Prove that it fails using the same circumstances as before as opposed to assume that it wont.

Any good fault finder (including sky staff regardless as to what their script says) would go down this route.

tester2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have to agree with red..
      First rule of troubleshooting is eliminate all possibilities and what you are left with is the answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12