Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dns servers

This is a discussion on Dns servers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Could anyone suggest what I might try please: Basically, in the morning I was suddenly only able to connect to ...

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dns servers

Could anyone suggest what I might try please:

Basically, in the morning I was suddenly only able to connect to google and all its related sites as well as collect email to outlook express.

I am able to get on the net properly without altering my PC settings through another wifi connection.

I ran the ipconfig/all command when connected through my router and the other one and when I'm online through the other connection, it lists 2 figures (like 1XX.168.4.100 and1XX.168.8.100) and when I do the command when going through my router (the Sky one) it simply has one line: 192.168.0.1, the same number as Default Gateway and DHCP Server.

Would this be a likely candidate for the reason I can't use the net properly? It reads the same in the DNS server when I'm wired if that means anything.

I tried router reboot, reset to factory settings, DNS flush, ipconfig release and renew amongst other things I've been reading but nothing has worked.

*apologies for posting in the thread about the router upgrade... I thought as I didn't alter anything, maybe they fired something down the line!*

Hope someone can help,

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dns servers

I'm not sure what to suggest to fix the problem, but the behaviour you're seeing with regard the DNS server addresses isn't the cause of the problem.

Both routers have a DHCP server, which not only allocates an IP address to your PC, but also informs it of the appropriate default gateway and DNS server addresses. In the case of the Sky router, the router has a DNS relay facility, so its DHCP server passes the address of the router to your PC. The other router probably doesn't have a DNS relay, so its DHCP server has to pass the DNS server addresses which were originally passed to it when the router connected to the Internet.

Thanks

Thanks for that. Yeh, I'm really puzzled as to what to do. I had googled and found others who only had access to google and its other sites but there were mixed suggestions and I've been trying anything - have no idea what happened. Cheers.

Problem now sorted I hope - I did another uninstall of the netgear software for the wireless adapter and then tried my wired connection and got online properly, perhaps there was some sort of clash which had never happened before.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by hermann; 14-03-08 at 11:23 AM.

towbar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester area
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had exactly the same problem this morning (Fri 14/03). At 00:30 I had itv-f1.com and formula1.com streaming quite happily together. At 04:00 neither would connect. At 08:00 still the same re these sites but I found I could get email and Google but not any of my other usual sites eg BBC.

I switched PC (and another one) off/on, router off/on a few times. Then reloaded router config file (downloaded from the Sky Netgear v1 when it first arrived). No difference.

Then at 10:00 it all started working normally, without any further input from me, and 2 hours later it's still OK. So I assume the problem wasn't at my end.
      As I'm in same region as OP, is it reasonable to assume it might have been a Sky or a local BT problem?

Thanks

Hi towbar... perhaps there's a link then and that the time it came back was just a coincidence with me uninstalling software again. Have to say, normally when it goes at their end, it hasn't connected at all for me rather than selective sites being accessible.

Waited 2 months for the reconnection after moving home so fingers crossed there's no more probs!

bazz007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by towbar View Post
      I've had exactly the same problem this morning (Fri 14/03). At 00:30 I had itv-f1.com and formula1.com streaming quite happily together. At 04:00 neither would connect. At 08:00 still the same re these sites but I found I could get email and Google but not any of my other usual sites eg BBC.

I switched PC (and another one) off/on, router off/on a few times. Then reloaded router config file (downloaded from the Sky Netgear v1 when it first arrived). No difference.

Then at 10:00 it all started working normally, without any further input from me, and 2 hours later it's still OK. So I assume the problem wasn't at my end.
      As I'm in same region as OP, is it reasonable to assume it might have been a Sky or a local BT problem?
      Same here, could only view google pages, after a 40 min call to cs, level 2 said there have been some problems & all should be sorted today.....just checked & all is working fine

4square is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

According to the easynet status page:
      Easynet > Support Portal
      there was a network connectivity problem on the Manchester to London link. Fixed now.

Thanks

Thanks for that, 4square.