Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WiFi issue on DG834GT

This is a discussion on WiFi issue on DG834GT within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I wonder if someone can help with a very perplexing issue. I have Sky Max, and I have two wireless ...

Grey Area is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WiFi issue on DG834GT

I wonder if someone can help with a very perplexing issue.

I have Sky Max, and I have two wireless PCs and one wired PC connected into the DG834GT. the router is set up to give reserved IP addresses out to these machines based on their MAC addresses. All the machines are visible on the "attached devices" page, and at this point, everything works fine.

I have an O2 XDA Smartphone. When I try to connect it wirelessly to the router, the following happens;

1. The XDA sees the network, and I either enter the WPA encryption password or it remembers it from last time.

2. The XDA receives the correct reserved IP address from the router.

Sounds good so far, but now the funny stuff starts...

3. All wireless devices disappear from the "attached devices" page on the router (though all except the XDA still work, i.e. can access the internet and each other)

4. The XDA cannot access the internet, nor can it be pinged from either the router or any of the other machines on the network.

I have also tried my neighbour's phone, which is exactly the same model but supplied by Orange, and I get EXACTLY the same effect.

Also, I had a look at the "access list" settings, and whilst the router can "see" all the available wireless stations, they are all listed as "UNKNOWN". Shouldn't this pick up their identifying names?

The irritating thing is, when I first had the phone I tested it on the very same network and it worked just fine - but of course I don't use it at home that often as I can just use one of the PCs.

I'd be VERY grateful if someone can get this to work...so far O2 have had me do a hard reset on the phone, but to no avail. Sky's technical support has been very poor I am afraid - they admit that they have no training on this kind of thing.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: WiFi issue on DG834GT

I know as much about smart phones as Sky CS, but could this be caused by the phone itself being a modem able to connect to the internet without a router. I'm probably completely wrong, but is is possible to turn off the phone's modem and just use it's LAN adapter?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There's a connection manager on the phone. Looking at it now...the options are;

Flight Mode
      Phone
      Bluetooth
      WLAN
      Microsoft Direct Push
      Data Connection
      Ringer
      Internet Sharing
      ActiveSync

The only things that are "on" are Phone, WLAN and Ringer.

Regarding my comment about all the "unknowns" in the Access Control list...if I disable the WLAN on the phone, the other two wireless PCs both show their name. it's only when I turn on the WLAN on the phone that I get three "UNKNOWN" entries. I guess this relates somehow to the disappearing entries in the "Attached Devices" list too - as soon as I disconnect the phone, the other two wireless devices reappear.

On a 1 to 10 scale of frustration, I'm somewhere around 8.5 right now...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Do what I have done, copy and paste the MAC into Add New Station Manually and name them individually. And then do the same for all the ones in your access list.

My Orange E650 did similar things.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I already did that...it doesn't make any difference to the ability (or lack thereof) of the XDA to connect properly.

I have also;

Tried every setting on the RIP protocol
      Disconnected all other wireless devices
      Removed all encryption
      Disabled DHCP on the router and assigned a fixed IP to the XDA
      Disabled uPNP
      Hard reset the XDA

And, of course, rebooted the router (many times!)

All without success.
      Last edited by Grey Area; 13-03-08 at 10:35 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now then, how wierd is this?

After all these issues and kind of giving up on it as a bad job, I also noticed that out on the road, my GPRS wasn't working either - TomTom couldn't connect to the "plus" traffic service.

I get on the phone to O2 who told me that my phone hadn't been "provisioned". After one false start where they didn't seem to do anything about it, I have just (literally) had them tell me to go to the O2 Operator settings and tell it to update the "O2 UK Post Pay_GPRS" and reboot.

GPRS now works. And magically, so does my WiFi - IP address negotiated and full access to internet and my router's setup page granted. Working like a charm again.

So - seems to me it's an account setting, and nothing to do with either me poor ol' router or me nice new phone.

Warfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is the WLAN (WiFi) on the phone configured in infrastructure mode or ad-hoc mode?

I think you need infrastructure mode so that it will connect to the router. If it is in ad-hoc mode then it may be trying to communicate directly with your PC and causing your PC to disconnect from your router.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's in infrastructure mode. I know it's connecting to the router because even when it wasnt working, it was getting the IP address that I reserved for it.

Like i said, it's working now...though not 100% as I expected - I notice that whenever it connects, any wireless devices attached to my router are not visible under "attached devices", and are named as "unknown" under the wireless access list. When I disable WiFi on the phone, they all appear again in attached devices and give their proper device names to the access list.

A (sort of) related question - can I set up the phone to "share" it's directories so that I can browse them over the network like I would on a normal PC? I can't find any settings for it, just wondered if anyone knew if it was possible or not.