Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

This is really weird

This is a discussion on This is really weird within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have recently subscribed to Sky Max and have set up a wireless network at home. A PC running XP ...

MarkH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is really weird

I have recently subscribed to Sky Max and have set up a wireless network at home. A PC running XP downstairs is connected directly via a cable to the Netgear router supplied by Sky. I have another PC upstairs which is running XP and has a USB wireless adaptor. When I switch this PC on the router downstairs is disconnected from the internet. The network still works, it's just the internet that goes down. When I switch the upstairs PC off the internet comes back online immediately.

Now this is the really weird bit .... this happens even when I disconnect/remove the USB wireless adaptor from the PC upstairs. Almost as soon as I press the power button to switch the PC on the internet connection goes down and it comes back up when I switch the PC off, even though there is no network connection between the upstairs PC and the downstairs PC or router.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem but haven't got anywhere. Can anybody help please? I'm at the end of my tether.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: This is really weird

This sounds as if it might be an IP address conflict - the upstairs PC perhaps having a static IP address the same as the router - 192.168.0.1

Check that the upstairs PC's wireless card is set to obtain its IP address automatically.

EDIT: just read your last bit - that is weird! Another wireless card in it?
      Last edited by eyemdee; 11-03-08 at 11:58 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      EDIT: just read your last bit - that is weird! Another wireless card in it?
      No, not physically anyway. This is a list of all the network adaptors, including hidden ones, in device manager.

The 54M Wireless adaptor is the one I'm currently using. I'm not sure why there are multiple entries for this. The Actiontec USB 802.11b adaptor is an old one I don't use anymore. Could any of these be causing a problem perhaps?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You might want to remove all entries for the device and then reboot the pc. With USB everytime you remove it from one port and plug it back it in to another windows will see a new device. If you keep it plugged into the same port each time windows will not re-learn it and it will also keep the settings you have already input for it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Start in Safe Mode to remove the Devices, you may find that even more are shown there, than in Normal mode. As Paul says, try and use the same port when you plug in the adapter. This applies to all USB devices, Windows will reinstall them each time you use a different port.

If the router is loosing it's connection when you switch on with no Network connection, it suggests you have an electrical fault. Try plugging something else into the socket, an electric kettle maybe. See what the result is. If it switches your router off, then call in an electrician immediately. A bad connection could cause this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As I read your first post, you say that turning on your PC upstairs (usually wireless) is causing your connection to drop. This happens even if you remove the wireless adaptor.

Do you have a dial-up modem on that PC that might still be plugged in to the line?

If it's dropping when there is no network connection to the PC, that's a weird one.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Start in Safe Mode to remove the Devices, you may find that even more are shown there, than in Normal mode. As Paul says, try and use the same port when you plug in the adapter. This applies to all USB devices, Windows will reinstall them each time you use a different port.
      I took your advice and booted into safe mode, went into device manager, selected the option to show hidden devices and disabled every network adaptor that was listed.

I re-started the computer and the router didn't disconnect from the net. I re-connected my wireless adaptor and the router was still connected but I couldn't connect to the network from the 'rogue' PC. I re-enabled the two WAN Miniport IP adaptors and everything worked.

Have just re-started again and everything still works. Fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Glad you got it sorted. My money is still on an IP conflict - probably one of those "disabled" wireless devices with a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 which would blow the router out!